003

Welcome to the castle

: ̗̀ James

I was in the great hall, along with everyone else.

We'd just come back to Hogwarts, and it was time for the first year sorting.

The events of the night before were still replaying in my mind, rent-free. Belle Hawthorn. I would be called a liar if I said she was pretty. Because she wasn't, no.

She was jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The word beautiful wouldn't do her justice.

Her face was reminiscent of a Renaissance masterpiece, with delicate features that seem to be chiseled by an expert hand. Her hair cascaded in soft waves, glinting like spun gold in the sunlight.

Oh yeah, and she was nowhere to be seen.

I had expected to see her on the train, not that I wanted to. But it was always better to keep an eye on potential nuisances. I couldn't risk Lily hearing about the whole betrothed thing, from her.

I may also feel a little sense of guilt or remorse at the idea of potentially hurting her, as she didn't seem to mind the idea of the marriage all that much. I worried that my feelings for Lily would cause her pain.

Sensing a gaze on me, I turned my head quickly to my left and met the green eyes of the girl I'd been blushing over not even 2 hours ago.

I could feel my heart race slightly as Lily moved her head and met my gaze. I couldn't help but admire her beautiful red hair that had grown longer during the summer, or the way her emerald green eyes widened slightly when they met mine.

Yet I saw someone else when she looked back at me. Blinking fast, I clear my throat and draw in a deep breath to shun the headache that came with a flash of wavy blond hair and earthly hues.

"Were we that small when we started?" Sirius said from beside him, nodding toward the marching first years.

Remus turned his head, so he was facing his whispering friend. And a small grin along with a slightly mischievous look covered his face as he leaned slightly closer and whispered back.
"If I remembered correctly, you were smaller."

Sirius took a sharp breath, and he looked as if someone had insulted his entire life. Pulling away from his friend, he put his hand on his heart and gave a disbelieving look. "Take that back."

A smile grew on my lips as I witnessed the banter between my two friends. Though I wasn't going to say it, I agreed with Remus. The former Black heir had been the shortest until he had hit his growing stage the summer before third year.

I remembered it well, considering how much I used to tease them in second year as I was the tallest.

After the sorting, instead of Dumbledore's usual speech, there was silence. A hush came over the great hall.