Chapter seven

I had tried to lock you out, keep you away.

But what I didn't know was that you had, in the short time we knew each other, already made a place for yourself in my heart. in my life.

Before you, after you. Everything that's not you is but an insignificant blur passing through time, stuck in place.

Loving you was easy. Missing you is harder.

❈❈❈

It's a hot summer Saturday when Jungkook knocks on Taehyungs front door, by himself this time. He only has to wait a couple seconds until the door is almost ripped off of its very hinges, flying open with a 'woosh' of cool air. He was expecting to see Taehyung on the other side, but instead looks down (and down) to see an overexcited little girl grinning up at him. Ah, the brunette's little sister, the one that had tried to make a move on him. Jungkook doesn't really remember her name — something that begins with the letter 'N'? — as he's banished the embarrassing memory and most of that confusing night to the very dark and deep depths of his mind, something to ponder on late at night years later. But he smiles awkwardly back at her anyway.

"H—"

"Nari! How many times have I told you not to answer the door by yourself?!"

Once again Jungkook, perhaps naively, expects Taehyung to be the one rounding the corner to scold his little sister but instead comes someone else entirely — however, he might as well be a mini Taehyung with how similar the two look. Sloped nose, pert lips, bright dark eyes. But there's something different about him, (and not just his height) something unsure, cautious, hostile even. He reminds the blue-haired man of a wild animal, squinting from afar like he's not sure if he should fight or flee. Hit or hide.

"Oh, it's... You."

-

"Taehyung is asleep?"

"Yes."

"Well... Can you wake him up..?"

"No."

"No?"

"He's tired. Mum said let him rest."

"But, like... I'm already here... This is the time we agreed upon.."

Taehyung seems to have a total of three siblings (unless another decides to pop out of nowhere) and they are all equally as unhelpful. Nari is stuck to his side like a parasite, asking trivial questions about everyday life that Jungkook doesn't really feel like answering right now — especially when it comes to his, lack thereof, love life, of which there are plenty. The boy who looks identical to Taehyung is staying quiet, sitting on the singular armchair shoved in the corner with his knees up to his chest and his arms wrapped around himself. Hostile was definitely the right descriptor for him, if looks could kill Jungkook would be heaving his last, cinnamon-scented, breath. Finally, the girl who looks the oldest of the three. She's splayed over the overly soft three-seater Taehyung had compelled Jungkook to watch the movie that he doesn't remember the name of on. Her hair is tied up into a ponytail and her tone is almost annoyingly decisive. She looks a lot less like Taehyung but the resemblance is still there.

Silence fills the air as both parties are lost on what to say next. But that doesn't last long.

"So, are you in a relationship right now?" Sparkly eyes blink up at him.

The quiet boy speaks up. "Nari, stop asking such stupid questions." Jungkook feels relieved, suddenly overcome with great appreciation for the lookalike. Then he mumbles something Jungkook can't hear. However, the eldest girl seems to. "Chan, be nice." She reprimands sternly. 'Chan' just rolls his eyes, looking the other way.