The Heart Within

We make our way out of the clan's village and make our way home. It's now dark, with only the stars to guide us back home.  The once-bright hues that painted the sky have been obscured by dark skies. Our only source of light was the moon, which appeared to be peeking over the trees and sprinkled stars in the sky. I would have brought a lantern if I had known we'd be returning so late.

Everything happened so quickly. I take a deep breath and exhale. As if, I didn't breathe at all in there. Liraz stops to let go of my hand. She opens her mouth but she can't seem to say anything.

" Are you alright?" I ask, breaking the silence between us.

"I should be asking you that." She sighs, rubbing her eyes.

" You shouldn't have pulled out your dagger," I say. " You made the situation even worse."

"Even worse? They were accusing you of who knows what yet I'm the crazy one?" She laughs. Well, she was right. They were suddenly accusing me of something I couldn't imagine doing.

"They accused me of being involved with the Einarch family." I say, looking at her.

"I don't even know them, Liraz."

"The Einarches." She pauses, hesitating before she says " They're a bloodthirsty war family. If other nobles desire wealth and gems, they desire territory and bloodshed to get what they want."

I gulp. I knew it was crazy in the empire but how could the royal family approve of this kind of nobles?

"The royal family don't care as long as they are the most wealthy and powerful if that's what your thinking." She answers my question without me having to ask it.

"You don't belong with those kind of people, Xavier. That woman is stupid to even suggest that you'd be involved with them." Her eyes look hurt, as if she was the one who was yelled at instead of me.

The moonlight shines brightly on her black hair. Her hair appears almost glowing to me as it basks in the moonlight. Her hair was always dark in my eyes yet it somehow looked brighter tonight.

"What kind of person am I to you?" I ask. That question surprises her and she's taken aback.

"A friend with a good heart." Her gaze softens. "That's who you are to me. Nothing like those Einarchs, they're always up to no good."

"And it seems like they're up to no good according to this fiery vision."

"Liraz, I want to do something about this but what if my involvement in this does more harm than good? What then?" I sighed.

"What do you want to do? " She asks me.

" I want to stop her. Stop her before she causes all of this. But how can I, Liraz? I'm not as strong as you. Instead of stopping her, I'll probably die after one hit from her."

"Well, if she can hurt you, then run away," Liraz says flatly.

"What?"

"Run away. Grab your family and run away as far as you can."

"But everyone else. They'll die if I don't do anything about this." I muttered.

She then smiled. Not a mischievous or a joking smile but a genuine one.

"Then stop her," she says pointing to my chest. I instantly put my palm over my heart

"You have a good heart, Xavier. Something not everyone has, so make use of it." Liraz says looking forward toward the dark path with trees surrounding it. I almost didn't realize the scary path we were taking. All you could hear was the dirt beneath our feet and the strange sound of the breeze sweeping the branches.

I was so focused on my surroundings that I didn't notice the silence that followed what she said. It was unusual for her to speak with such seriousness and kindness. I don't know how to respond.

"Liraz, will you stay beside me on this journey?" I say, my gaze fixed on hers.

"Do I really have a choice? Well, of course. You'll be much safe with me on your side," she assures confidently. Like the Liraz I'm familiar with. "Though strength isn't always needed to survive, it all depends on how desperate you are to live."

.˳⁺⁎˚ ꒰ఎ ★ ໒꒱ ˚⁎⁺˳ .

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞: Thank you so much for giving this read ! I'd really appreciate it if you give this a vote and continue reading ! I know this page is shorter but it's actually a continuation of the last page but it got a little too long so I added it here instead. Please also consider checking out my twitter account: Sincerelyraine for update posts,, anyways that's enough promoting for one day hehe Good bye and See you later <33

.˳⁺⁎˚ ꒰ఎ ★ ໒꒱ ˚⁎⁺˳ .