Song # 1 : Pretty Boy

"I am flattered. But, I am so sorry. I cannot return your love. I am not capable of being more than friends with anyone at this moment," Sam said to a girl who was wiping her tears. She threw a squishy object at him. Sam picked it up and smirked while looking at it. He put it inside his backpack and started walking towards his best friend. Bobby stood by in a corner observing them and was startled when the girl bolted away. The sound of the girl's sobs echoed in the air.

"That's so mean of you, Prince Sam," he teased him. "Is she the seventh of those you turned down?"

Sam's expression immediately changed. His eyes filled with sadness and guilt as he realized the impact of his words. He shook his head and put his arm over Bobby's shoulder. "Do you think I am heartless? Shouldn't they thank me because I'm doing them a favor?"

Bobby grinned at him. "I know your intentions are good. Having good looks is like a double-edged sword. It has its pros and cons. Lucky you have gotten more of the benefits. Popularity, special treatment and respect," Bobby added. "Although it can be hard to trust people since they may only favor you more by your looks than by your personality."

"I don't think it's my fault to have these attributes. I mean, I worked hard to maintain this and I do not want to sound like I am ungrateful or complaining, but I'm tired of this. This is getting out of hand! I didn't ask them to choose me. Earning someone's respect is enough for me," Sam whined. His voice was adamant. "I won't accept anything less than the respect I deserve. Not such undeserved attention or admiration. I only want to be treated just like everyone else," he continued.

"I understand. I would definitely feel the same if I were you," Bobby remarked. He further emphasized his sympathy for Sam. "It's the price you pay for having an undeclining face card, I guess," he shrugged.

"If only there was another way to tell someone the truth without breaking their heart," Sam sighed. "If only," he thought. Sam wished that he was able to find a kinder way of telling the truth, without hurting someone's feelings.

Let's get out of here. The two teens went home together after their school day ended. They stopped by Double Knot Cafe to grab some iced coffee that they enjoyed on the way home. They even played a ranked game on their phones while they traveled. Both were engrossed in their respective roles in the game, which led to friendly competition. Bobby got off the bus at the first stop. Sam put his headphones on as soon as Bobby left. He took out his sketchbook and started scribbling. Minutes later, he arrived home.

Sam and Bobby arrived at the academy thirty minutes early the next morning. Their eyebrows crossed when they entered the classroom. A group of students crowded Sam's desk as if a crime scene had taken place. One of their classmates noticed their arrival and announced, "Sam is here!" The flock of students instantly dispersed when they heard it. The best friends found a bouquet of flowers. A basket full of goodies like candies, chocolates and chips. Not to mention, a stuffed toy bear on the side along with love letters tucked in was also present. Another classmate poked Sam to get his attention. He told the latter that someone was waiting for him outside. Sam immediately put his backpack down on his chair and headed out the door. An unfamiliar face displaying a sweet smile greeted him.

"Um, can I talk to you for a sec?" she asked.

Sam nodded and followed the girl into a corner near the stairwell. "What's the matter? How can I help you?" He asked in a concerned tone.

The girl smiled, "By the way Sam, I'm Sandy," she extended her hand and Sam shook it. "I'm a sophomore and I have been wanting to speak with you about a serious matter." Sam felt the firm handshake of Sandy and could see a resolute look in her eyes. It was intriguing to know what she wanted to discuss with him.

Sam did not say anything to interrupt her; he made sure he did not miss anything in her statement. Keeping his gaze on her as she opens up. He leaned in, eager to understand what she had to say.

"You know, today is my birthday and I thought now was the perfect time to tell you this. I love you, Sam. Like a lot," she said as her eyes glistened. On the other hand, Sam's eyes were about to pop after hearing what she had said. His jaw dropped; his mind couldn't process the words he was hearing.

Sandy continued, "Something unfamiliar hit me when I first saw you. I know that I'm not the only one who feels the same way about you, but I could no longer contain these emotions. The more I suppress it, the more I get disoriented. It's as if my heart will explode if this goes on; so I decided to express my feelings to you today. Will you accept my heart and become more than friends with me?" She gasped for air after her confession. A feeling of relief finally came after finding the courage to speak her mind. Despite the fear of rejection, she still put her heart on the line. What's left to do now is wait for his response.

Sam laid his hand on her shoulder and smiled. "I appreciate your boldness in initiating this conversation with me. I am surprised. As much as I do not want to ruin the mood because today is your birthday, I need to be honest with you too." He moved closer to her and leaned forward over her left shoulder. His mouth was an inch away from her ear and continued in a hushed tone. "I am sorry to break your heart. I really am. Friendship is the only kind of relationship I am interested in at the moment. Nothing more, nothing less," he said, finishing the sentence and leaning back.

She felt her heart sink as she processed his words. She had been wrong all along. He wasn't interested in her in the way she had hoped, and it left her feeling disappointed and embarrassed. The bright and cheerful facade turned into a gloomy aura that exuded and felt. Only her soft sobs were audible. Sam felt guilt seeing the shift in her demeanor but convinced himself that it was for the better. He turned away and started heading back to his classroom.

Her shoulders slumped, and she bowed her head in defeat, unable to hide the hurt that was evident on her face. "Why?" She asked, sobbing that made him stop in his tracks. "Am I unattractive?" Am I not good enough? Sam, you are my first love. Will you tell me why you refused my love?" She searched his eyes for an answer, desperate to understand why he had rejected her. Her voice was filled with desperation and tears streaming down her face, emphasizing the pain in her words. "Am I not worth the effort? Is my love not enough?"

Sam felt her pain and sorrow, and he could see his refusal of her love had affected her so much. He struggled to find the words to explain his decision, but he knew he had to do what was right.

He turned his back to face her. With a heavy heart, he looked her in the eyes and said the hardest words he ever had to say. "It's not you. It's me," he said. The bell rang, which interrupted their conversation. He wiped her tears and smiled at her. "Hey, cheer up! It's your birthday!" Sam casually said as more students started coming in for their respective classes.

The girl ran away and left him in the corner. He sighed, combed his hair and walked back to his classroom. Bobby greeted him outside and patted his back. It turns out that he heard their conversation from a distance. He was looking for Sam after stashing away all the things on the latter's desk. He understood how his best friend was feeling.

In no time, their class adviser went inside and reminded everyone that tomorrow was going to be their midterm exam. He encouraged his class to do well and help each other with reviewing their materials. He also announced that they could use the time today to have a review session with everyone. The class voted for a mock quiz. Bobby and Sam joined in to keep themselves busy. Maximizing the time to revisit their past lessons and recall important points.