Song #3 : District 9

Sam entered the restroom and stumbled over himself while reaching for the doorknob. He was suddenly struck by someone, throwing him off balance. Startled, he couldn't stand up right away. The person helped him get up. He raised himself up little by little after realizing that he needed to be more cautious next time.

"Are you okay?" A concerned female voice was all he could hear. "Are you hurt?" I'm so sorry if I wasn't paying attention to the pathway." He could feel the genuine concern in her voice. She shook her head out of guilt and embarrassment.

Sam got up and patted his pants and shirt. "I'm alrigh–," he stopped midway after seeing a pretty lady helping him fix his clothing. She had a worried expression on her face. "I'm good. Don't worry about it. I should have paid more attention," he replied. He thought he was being taken to another dimension when their eyes connected. Somewhere vivid, like his paintings. Giving him a rush of ecstasy and sending chills down his spine. He couldn't believe that the woman in front of him had such a profound effect on him. Making him feel like he was in a world of his own.

He examined her face. Her dreamy eyes that pierced his soul stood out. Freckles underneath them looked like little stars scattered in the night sky. She was also taken aback by his gaze causing her face to become reddish. His eyes were mesmerizing. She felt an instant connection between them. It's as if they somehow knew each other in their past lives. Their hearts raced as they continued to stare at each other.

"Is this what they call love?" He asked himself.

She broke eye contact. "I'm glad you're not injured. Again, I'm so sorry." She pleaded. "I have to go. See you around," she said and left.

Inside the restroom, Sam washed his hands and checked himself in the mirror. His mind replayed images of the incident that had just taken place. He could not forget her face. He smiled at himself in the mirror. After drying his hands, he took a deep breath and stormed out. A few steps in, he saw his sister's best friend. Louise looked upset and was murmuring something while walking at a faster pace. When he finally caught up to her, he gave her a tap and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"Hey Lou! Are you alright? What's the matter?"

"Sam!" A surprised Louise exclaimed. I encountered a weirdo at the register but I'm fine. Are you all by yourself?" she inquired.

"I'm with Mama and Christa. Mama took us out here for dinner. Someone invited her out to eat. What about you?" Sam explained.

"I see. So, this was what your sister mentioned earlier," Louise said. Recalling her conversation with Christa. "I'm with my mom because my cousins from Australia arrived and we decided to meet up here to have some dinner. What table number do you have? We can merge tables if you want. I am going to introduce you to them. The more the merrier," she giggled.

Sam smiled at the thought of Louise's suggestion as they continued walking to their table. "Table 19."

"Great! Same as ours. Mom definitely invited Aunt Julia without letting us know. Haha.. All I knew was that my twin cousins were here."

And Louise predicted it right. The Silva family got an invitation to a supper from her mother, Joane. It is not unusual at all, due to the fact that their parents are close friends with one another as well. When they arrived at their seat, he saw the girl he had run into earlier conversing with her mother and sister. It surprised him to a point that made him speechless.

She sat next to Joane. "Lucky me!" Sam whispered. Joane waved at him and called when she saw them approaching. He walked towards Louise's mom and paid respect. Louise pulled a chair and sat next to Christa.

Julia noticed Sam's arrival and pulled him in. "Effie, this is my youngest, Sam," she said, introducing him to the girl sitting next to Joane. Effie looked up at him and smirked.

"Hooot!" Sam's mind wanted to explode. That was the sexiest smirk he had ever seen in his entire life. She stood up and smiled at him. "Hello, my name is Felicity Zobel but everyone calls me Effie. My dad is the younger brother of Louise's father." Effie extended her hand to shake his. Her eyes glistened and she looked stoked after meeting him. She knew right away that it was more than a coincidence that had brought them together.

Sam received her hand and shook it. A surge of electricity crept up all over his body as soon as their hands touched. Little did he know that this connection would have a lasting impact on his life. "Happy to meet you Effie. I'm Sam. She's my sister [points to Christa] and a junior student at the academy where Louise studies." His smile was wide from ear to ear.

"Hey, don't forget about me!" A male's voice interrupted the exchange that had just begun. "Hi everyone! I am Peter, Effie's twin brother. And Louise's charming cousin," he playfully announced which made everyone chuckle.

Peter had been standing by the side, listening to their conversation. When he realized he had been forgotten, he decided to break the ice. He joked to lighten the mood and get everyone's attention, introducing himself. Right after his introduction, he embraced his Aunt Joane and thanked her for welcoming them. Delight was visible on Joane's face with his gesture. Their food arrived shortly. Peter sat between Joane and Felicity while Louise chose to sit next to Christa so they could chat. Sam remained standing beside Julia, observing everyone catching up.

Peter noticed Sam still standing, so he called him. "Hey bro! Come sit beside me." Sam obeyed and sat next to Peter. When he discovered that Felicity was on his left side, his movements became stiff due to the tension he was feeling. Sam could not believe that the girl of his dreams was right next to him and now they were acquaintances. An amused Peter felt Sam's tensed demeanor, so he made an effort to hit a conversation. It's a way of them getting to know each other. Most of all, his intention was to make Sam feel at home.

Julia saw that her son was getting along with Peter. She knew that he only had a few friends. She always thought that interacting with strangers might have been challenging for him. She felt relieved and proud to see her son open up to someone new and make friends. Something that she had been encouraging him to do for some time.

Peter's friendly gesture made Sam feel more relaxed and he began to open up. Sam felt he belonged in the new environment. Peter showed everyone his humor by dropping dad jokes and some pick-up lines. Laughter filled the atmosphere with their light conversation.

"Thanks man. I appreciate you talking to me. I should be the one welcoming you since you have just arrived from Australia," Sam told Peter. He was thankful to the latter, who did not make him feel like an outcast.

Peter chuckled and asked for a fist bump which Sam returned. "Anytime, man. I got you."

The evening ended on a positive note with everyone in good spirits. They satisfied their craving for good food and finished what they ordered. Everyone decided to head home at nine o'clock in the evening. They left the place with a stuffed stomach and wide smiles on their faces.

On the way home, Sam received a text message from his best friend. Bobby's cousin had arrived from the US and he could not wait to introduce them to each other. Convinced that they will get along as well.

"Hey Sam. Reena's cousin from the United States also arrived and they had a barbecue at their house. She said Bobby kept his arrival a secret from her so it took a toll on her," Christa informed Sam.

He chuckled in response. "Bobby has sent me a similar message. Can't wait for tomorrow."

Sam washed himself and brushed his teeth when they reached home. He prepared his school materials before diving into his bed. Effie's image kept replaying in his mind as he lay down. He recalled their unexpected encounter outside the restroom. He's amazed at how the universe favored him by making them acquaintances before the day ended. He chuckled as he held a pillow to his chest and squeezed it tight. His heart filled with gratefulness for their serendipitous meeting. Found himself looking forward to their next encounter.

"Felicity, Felicity," he repeated. "What a lovely name! " He blurted. . He couldn't help but daydream about their next meeting. Including the possibilities of what could happen. Sam could not wait to share the news with his best friend. As he drifted off to sleep, Effie's image lingered on his mind.