Song #2 : School Life

"Oh my god! Here we go again." Sam said, putting the book down he was reading on the table. It's already 6:00 in the morning and his sister's alarm had been ringing for the past ten minutes. "Doesn't she know about today's midterm exam?" He went out of his room. He found the door ajar, so he let himself in. He saw his sister still curled up on her bed. He approached her side table and knocked on it. [Tok.. Tok.. Tok..] "Hey sis, you gotta get up now. It's already 6:15 and today's our midterm exam? Did you forget?"

"I know, I know, five more minutes," she answered without making any movement. "I stayed awake all night and studied Chemistry and Math," Christa continued in a lazy voice.

Sam shook his head and called out to their mother, Julia. "Ma! Christa is still in bed and won't budge. It's already 6:20 and at this rate we'll be late for school."

Julia went into her first born's room. She saw her daughter was still under the covers. "Christa! Get up now. You'll be late for school dear. You will not want to miss your exams!" She pulled the blanket over her and said, "Hurry! Get up!"

Sam was amused by looking at the two women. He saw his sister stand up and go straight to make her bed. He was startled when his mother poked him, ordering him to get out of the room and prepare for school as well. He had already taken a bath and got dressed earlier while he was reviewing a book. He bent over and bowed. "I'm getting out now, your majesty." Sam stormed out and went straight to his room. He changed into his school uniform and packed his stuff.

Twenty-five minutes later, he went down to the dining area for breakfast. Christa joined him at the table and they headed out the door after saying goodbye to their mother. Before stepping out the door, Julia reminded Sam that she was going to pick them up from school later.

"I have to go now." Christa said to her brother when they entered the academy.

Sam held her wrist and stopped her. "Hold up a sec, by the way, Mom said she's going to pick us up later, so let's go home together. I'll be waiting in the quadrangle, okay?"

"Got it." Christa replied, then bolted to her classroom.

Sam went straight to his classroom when Christa left. He was surprised to not see his best friend Bobby in his seat. "Gosh, did he forget about the exam today?" Sam thought. He sent him a message asking where he was. The exam will start in the next twenty minutes. A classmate approached him asking if he had an extra pen. He took one from his backpack and gave it away. He proceeded to scan his notes for the first period. Fifteen minutes passed before Bobby arrived and sat next to him. He saw his best friend displaying his broad smile which accentuated his deep dimple on the left side of his face.

Their professor came in a few minutes and their exams started.

- LUNCH BREAK -

Bobby invited Sam to go to the quadrangle to eat, since he packed lunch for the two of them. The former made some spam kimbap and brought a pack of chocolate cookies his mom made the night before. Without second thoughts, Sam joined his best friend knowing he was saving his lunch money.

"These are delicious!" Sam exclaimed while munching on his share of kimbap. "Melanie is missing out so much after you two broke up," he added.

"It is what it is." Bobby replied while looking up at the sky and shrugging. "I liked Melanie. I mean, why would I be in that relationship if I did not like her to begin with? We shared happy memories together. But, I always feel that there's still something missing. You know," he sighed, then proceeded to finish his food.

Sam nodded, agreeing with his best friend. "Now that you two broke up, what's next? Any plans?"

"I am not sure how to answer that question, bro. Honestly, I don't feel any regrets. Of course, I got mad after learning that she had cheated on me. It felt like my ego was being stomped on by someone I trusted. On the other hand, the cheating incident served more as a blessing in disguise. The incident freed me from guilt. Knowing that I stayed in that relationship without giving my all. It was a win-win situation for us." A deep sigh resonated after his speech.

Sam patted Bobby's back. He didn't see any trace of bitterness nor pain on Bobby's face. Ironically, his best friend looked happier and more inspired than ever. "Well, genuine happiness is painted all over your face, so I guess your breakup was for the better." Sam saw his best friend's faint smirk after his statement. He looked in the direction where Bobby's eyes were focused and noticed a familiar face. "Not again. Come on, bruh! Are you really sure she's the one?"

"She's the only one," Bobby replied, maintaining his eyes on her from afar. "You may not believe me, but I swear, every time I see that girl, my heart feels peace and genuine happiness. I want to marry her and be part of her life. It all makes sense now. I've been brushing off my feelings for her since grade school. Now that I am no longer bound to anybody, I can finally be happy with the person I love. I told you what happened that fateful day, remember?"

Sam observed his best friend's demeanor all the while he was talking. He did not interrupt him. He sensed Bobby's relief after his breakup with Melanie. His sincerity is felt while sharing his deep feelings for his sister Christa. Bobby had been eyeing Christa from afar. "Of course, I remember what you told me back then when we were in third grade. I am so thankful to you for saving Christa. What's stopping you from telling her you love her?" Sam inquired.

Bobby only answered with a smile. "I will. Just waiting for the perfect time," he thought. He gave his best friend chocolate cookies and they munched on them. They went back to their classroom after their lunch break ended.

At 3:15pm, Sam and Bobby's class had already finished all their exams and were dismissed early. Unfortunately, they are not allowed to go home yet. The academy held them inside the campus until quarter to five in the afternoon.

"Thank goodness! The exam is all done." Tucking away all his belongings and stretching his arms wide. Sam headed out of the classroom after seeing Bobby already waiting for him outside. They went to the quadrangle to kill some time and sat on a bench with a bunch of other students.

Sam was about to pull out his sketchbook when he felt some squishy stuff at the bottom of his backpack. A loud chuckle escaped when he saw what it was, then he handed it over to Bobby, who reacted the same way.

Bobby played with the squishy stuff by tossing and catching it. "Why do you have this?" He asked.

"Someone gave it to me as a present, I guess. I don't exactly remember when or who it was, but yeah," Sam responded.

"Wow! What a heartthrob you are!" Bobby shook his head. "As expected from a prince like you. I have never received any gifts from anybody outside of my family or close friends. You're the man!" Their fists bumped after his statement. "Can I borrow it?"

"You can have it. I know what you're thinking. Your face says it all bro." Sam laughed.

"Hey, Christa is waving at you," Bobby said.

Sam hurried. "I have to go. We're going somewhere and Mama is going to pick us up," Sam explained. "Will you be fine here by yourself? I'm gonna head out now," he continued, then carried his backpack and stood up. Bobby gave a nod and assured him he'd be fine. Sam left him sitting on the bench. Bobby watched the siblings head out of the academy.

"I'm so sorry to keep you waiting, Sam," Christa said as they walked towards the campus gate.

"No big deal, Sis. We finished our tests early so I was able to relax a bit with Bobby while waiting for you."

Julia called her children when she saw them walking past the gate. Excitement screamed all over her face. "My babies are here now! Can you guess where we're going?" The siblings shook their heads and watched her. "We're going to our favorite restaurant, District 9. Who's excited?"

"Me, me!" the siblings answered in unison. They kissed their mother on the cheek when they were near her.

The three of them took a cab and headed for District 9. Twenty minutes later, they arrived at the location and went inside the establishment. The family rushed to the reception desk to check their table number. The receptionist confirmed their reservation and informed them to settle at Table 19. Sam told his mother that he was going to the restroom and suggested they head first to their table and he would follow. The ladies agreed and would wait for him there. Sam passed his backpack to his sister then went on his way.