14. Luke

The next week found Anna still in a daze. She just couldn't stop thinking about Fredrick and Jacqueline – here, in her own school. It had taken her so long to put the people she knew in her hometown out of her mind, to move on. And now, they were back again. She caught herself constantly on the lookout for some sign that either of them was around, and they never failed to disappoint. Maybe it was just because she was looking for them, but it seemed like she'd see them everywhere she went. On more than one occasion Anna found herself wishing to be home, longing for the days when she lounged in isolation. At least then she didn't have to worry about people from her past coming back into her life.

Now that Anna was keeping an eye out, she'd seen Fredrick almost every time she left her friends at lunch. So in order to avoid the knot that formed in the pit of her stomach every time she laid eyes on him, she'd started leaving for French a little later. The plan worked great in the sense that she no longer had to worry so much about seeing him in the halls. The downside, however, was that she now had to hurry to make it to class on time.

As Anna hurried around the corner, she looked back over her shoulder, thinking she's spotted Fredrick after all. She was still staring somewhere behind her when she ran into someone. Literally.

The force of hitting a person so hard and so unexpectedly was enough to knock her back onto the linoleum-tiled floor with a thud. Anna lifted her eyes from the floor and saw a hand being offered to her. She took it and climbed unsteadily back to her feet.

As she stood up, her mind vaguely wondering why she had to be the one to fall, Anna found herself staring into the face of the person she'd just bumped into. It was a boy who looked about her age, with deep, rich brown hair. It was a little longer than most boys' she'd seen lately, and was styled in a way that looked slightly unkempt. He had gorgeous eyes – brown with a trace of green around the edges, and he had the most amazing smile. Anna couldn't help but stare – this boy was cute.

"Sorry about that." he said, running a hand through his hair, his cheeks turning just the slightest shade of pink. Then, looking at her more closely, he said, "You're Anna, aren't you?"

Anna nodded.

The boy said something, but Anna didn't hear it. She just stood there staring at him, not paying a lick of attention to whatever he was talking about. After a few seconds of silence, he shifted his weight slightly, beginning to look nervous.

"Luke – Lucas Volk? In Miss Molthop's class?" he said to her.

Anna realized she'd just been staring blankly at him. She'd never seen him around before, but how could she have missed him? Surely she would have noticed someone so good-looking – especially if they were in her class. He was in her class, wasn't he? How else would he know her? Is that what he'd been talking about? Realizing he was getting uncomfortable, she hurriedly replied.

"I'm sorry." she said. Now it was her cheeks that were becoming rosy. "What did you say?"

He gave a short laugh, visibly relaxing. "I guess you must have fallen harder than I thought." he said jokingly. "I'm Luke. You're in my math class, right?"

"Oh, yes. I'm sorry. Lucas. Nice to meet you." she said, regaining some of her composure. She held out her hand for him to shake.

"You can call me Luke." he told her, falling into step beside her. "So where're you headed?"

"Luke." Anna repeated, making a mental note. "I'm going to French, and then math, and then art." she yammered, wondering why she was so nervous around him.

"Art – nice to have a fun class after the worst subject of the day." he told her.

"I like math." Anna said truthfully. It was a lot simpler than most of her other classes; English had changed quite a bit over the centuries, and there were way more countries now than when she was brought up. It seemed that math was the only subject that hadn't completely changed!