27. A Different Kind of Hunt

Since Carmine had said she needed proof that Fredrick and Jacqueline were vampires before she'd actually agree to help get rid of them, it was slowly sinking in for Anna that she would, in fact, have to catch them in the act of attacking someone, and do it with Carmine by her side. And she could only think of one way this could be accomplished; she'd have to follow them until they went hunting.

The plan took several days for Anna to actually complete. She decided to focus her attention on Fredrick. Jacqueline was too observant; she'd already managed to spot Anna once. But Fredrick – he was arrogant enough that it would never occur to him anyone would be able to follow him without him noticing. But, oh how wrong he'd be! Anna smiled at her own cleverness.

Anna had talked with both Mia and Carmine, and they decided the best plan was to find out where Fredrick lived. Then, all they would have to do was go to his house at night and wait for him to come out; they'd be able to follow him hunting and catch him in the act. They'd discussed going to the office and seeing if they could find out where he lived from the school records on file, but decided that was too risky; since they had every intention of getting rid of both Fredrick and Jacqueline, they didn't want there to be such an obvious link. No, it was much better to find out in a more subtle way – one that didn't involve actually asking anybody who might remember the conversation later.

Carmine hadn't been too interested in helping to find out where Fredrick and Jacqueline lived – she still wasn't convinced that the two really were vampires. Mia was more than willing to help, but since she got picked up every day after school, she wouldn't be able to do much. So, the task fell on Anna to complete.

The only way any of the girls could think of to find out where Fredrick lived was to follow him home. Anna would have to be one of the first students out of class in order to make sure she'd be ready and waiting when Fredrick came out of the school. Unfortunately, this meant at least another few days where Luke wouldn't be walking her home, but it wasn't something Anna could afford to worry about now; she had more important things to take care of. She would start that Monday.

During art, Anna could barely concentrate. She was supposed to be sculpting an animal, but her heart really wasn't in it; her fox was a little too lumpy, and was looking more like a bear with a long tail. Despite the fact that her artistic skills were clearly lacking, Anna wasn't putting any extra effort into her project like she normally would have. With ten minutes left in class, she started cleaning up so she could leave the instant the bell rang.

Anna was already out the door and halfway down the hall before half the students in her class had even grabbed their bags. She hurried gracefully down the spiral stairs and flew out the front doors. Only a handful of students were outside. After a quick scan, Anna realized thankfully that Fredrick was not among them. Casually, she walked across the lawn and leaned as nonchalantly as she could against a tree, making sure that the tree blocked most of her body from view of the school doors.

Anna spent almost ten long, agonizing minutes waiting. It felt more like forty. She glanced down at her watch, realizing that she must have missed him. But how? She'd been one of the first people out of the school. Could Fredrick really be in such a hurry to leave that he actually beat her out the doors? Anna adjusted her backpack on her shoulders and sighed. She took a step towards the parking lot, glancing one last time back towards the school. And that's when she spotted him.

Anna caught her breath and quickly stepped back behind the big oak, careful not to be seen. She didn't have to worry; Fredrick was surrounded by people clamoring for his attention. And while he didn't look at any of them, Anna could see he was listening, soaking up the attention. She casually followed behind, using the group as a shield between her and her target. Anna took a deep breath, forcing herself to relax – this was just like any other prey she'd stalked before, right?