Chapter Six

What a strange morning  Wylan thought when he arrived at the Tannery.

He was the only one there, early as always. He began working with the chemicals to perfect the formula, humming along to some made-up tune as he did so. He wasn't sure why he wanted so much to perfect it, it was already good, and it worked, but it wasn't perfect. He had to make the tanning formula perfect. Why did he have to? Maybe because good enough wasn't good enough in his mind.

He mixed a few formulas he would be sure to try out later. Marking the different ones with a mix of musical notes to remember which chemicals he had put in what.

His back ached from hunching over for so long that he decided to bring his arms over his head to stretch. His actions were halted quickly when he was startled by a man who he hadn't heard enter.

"Hello," Wylan said grabbing a rag to wipe off any possible chemicals he had gotten on his hands. 

"I need you to build me something." The man said, and that's when Wylan realized who was standing before him. Not that he actually knew this man... or boy, he wasn't sure the age, but he recognized him as the old man with the cane from last night. Though in this lighting it was clear he wasn't old.

"Um... What do you need me to build?" He asked, he had become quite cautious and the stiffness in his body displayed this. Wylan wasn't sure exactly how he should go about this or if he could even trust this man. "I'm not very good at building things so if you need me to build you a chair or something you've come to the wrong place. But I am good with chem-"

"A bomb." The word cut off his rambling. His eyes grew wide upon hearing the word, "You can do that can't you?"

"Yes, but-"

"I need ten."

"I-" Wylan stumbled over a few words trying to find the right ones. "I can't do that."

"Flash bombs. They won't do any real damage, they just need to put on a show." The man said taking his cane on a little walk around the table that stood between him and Wylan. He stopped in front of Wylan and pulled a sack of coins from his pockets. "250 kurge. This should be enough to buy any of the supplies you need, and pay off the amount you owe at the Inn."

"How did you-"

"-Know. I know a lot of things Wylan..." There was a pause and Wylan was terrified of the next word, "...Hendriks. Was it?" Wylan slowly nodded. "Kaz Brekker."

His name was said as if Wylan would know the name, but he still had no idea who this was.

Wylan wasn't sure what to say, does he agree? The sack of money that was placed in his hands made him say yes. It wasn't much to a boy who had more money lost under his bed than what was in this sack, but he wasn't at home right now and couldn't just crawl under the bed to collect it. Plus his grumbling stomach couldn't say no to the money either.

"You have two days. Have them ready here." The boy that Wylan knew now as Kaz said. Should he be referring to him as Mr. Brekker? He wasn't sure about the statist the man held.

Two days wasn't a lot of time and it meant overtime at work to make up for the time lost building the bombs. He would have said it was impossible and needed more time but he could barely speak a word. Maybe it was because of how intimidating the man holding the cane was. He only just nodded to most of the things Kaz had said.

Once Kaz had left he had one more stop to make, the House of the White Rose. The beautiful white building that looked more like a merchant's mansion than what it truly was. He looked out of place as soon as he stepped through the door, unlike at the Tannerary. He walked to the man at the front desk who wore a velvet suit with a white rose in its pocket. The man followed Kazs every move with his colourless eyes.

"I'm looking for Nina Zenik," Kaz said halting in front of the desk.

The man glanced down "She's busy at the moment," He said taking a look at the girl's schedule.

"I'll wait," Kaz said.

"We have a few available-"

"I'll wait for Nina Zenik," Kaz said showing himself to the waiting area on the other side of the room where he chooses to stand against the wall.

"You are welcome to take a seat," The man said appointing him to the several open seats, the other accompanied by other men awaiting their turn.

"I'll stand," Kaz said and the man gave him a small shrug of 'Do what you want' before going back to his still stare at nothing with his dead pale eyes.

Kaz scanned the artwork along the walls, the paintings all hung in boring white frames and each painting was of the same thing; a white rose. They clashed with the white-painted walls and Kaz couldn't help but think they'd look better against his walls at the Slat. They would definitely look better there with his other artwork.

Enough standing around Kaz thought and left his spot standing against the wall to show himself to Nina Zenik. She wasn't hard to find where he found her in an empty room sitting next to a grieving man.

"Nina Zenik," Kaz said welcoming himself into the room.

"The waiting room is in the other room, I'll be with you shortly."

"Nina."

She looked up, "I'll have to cut this short, don't forget to tip." Nina said guiding or rather shoving the man out of the room. She waved him off and closed the door before turning to Kaz. "What do you want?" She asked crossing her arms with a frown.

"I need your help."

"With what?" She asked with a sigh, "I told you last time I wasn't going to help you anymore."

"Breaking someone out of Hellgate," Kaz said and Nina gave a look of disbelief.

"You told me it was impossible to get Matthias out of Hellgate," Nina said remembering the last time. Kaz was able to get her in to visit but was told it was impossible to break anyone out and getting her in to visit was already almost impossible itself. 

"I found a way."

"Why?" Nina asked.

"Because if I help you, you owe me."

"Owe you?"

And there they stood, Kaz, Nina, Inej and Jesper. Outside the walls of Hellgate with nothing but a crow's cane, a heartrender, a collection of knives, two shiny guns and a bag full of bombs.

Chapter Six - May 5, 2023

Word Count - 1142 Words

WAFFLESSSSSSS 

This chapter felt a little too rushed. Oh well, the next one is hopefully better!

- Flyon