Chapter Ten

"Matthias!" Nina yelled. 

She fell to her knees and hugged the man that sat leaning up against the wall. But the hug didn't last long when Matthias pushed her away. Nina fell backwards, landing on her rump with a hurt expression on her face.

"Matthias?" Nina whispered. Her voice wasn't excited as it was the first time, more sad and hurt.

 "You." Matthias said lifting his head, a stare Nina didn't recognize, "You are not trusted!" He yelled, his thick accent displayed in his words.

Jesper was the first to enter the cell and pulled Nina protectively away from the Fjerdan when he attempted to attack. But from the previous fight, he was too weak to even stand and fell back with a thud.

"I didn't mean for this to happen, I was trying to protect you!" Nina yelled, and if it weren't for the fact they were in Hellgate she might have even fallen to her knees and begged for his forgiveness.

"Shhhh," Jesper whispered trying to calm her down, "Sorry break your little moment with your boyfriend... ex-boyfriend?" He said thinking he might be interrupting their breakup scene, "But you have to be quiet or the guards will hear us."

"We don't have to worry about the guards," Kaz said then Inej appeared beside him with her mask covering all but her eyes. 

She pulled it down to show she was slightly out of breath, "We should get moving, I'm not sure how long they'll be out for." 

Kaz agreed and Matthias didn't put up much of a fight, him wanting to get out of here too. When Matthias stepped out of the cell, he was a little, okay maybe a lot confused to see a man that looks just like him take his place in the cell. Nina wasn't a pro tailor but Matthias couldn't lie that he was impressed, it was like looking in a mirror.

"Let's move," Kaz said after locking the gate he had previously picked open.

"How are we getting out again? I don't remember you explaining that part." Jesper said.

Kaz pointed at the bag hung over Jesper's shoulder, "We're putting on a show."

When Kaz said "we're" he really meant just Jesper. And maybe Inej.

"I can't believe I'm the distraction," Jesper said to Inej where they stood with their backs pressed against the wall, "I mean, I know my looks are distracting," He said with a pretend hair flip, "But-"

"Jesper!" Inej whispered followed by a "Shhhhh." And soon Jesper knew why she was shushing him. Around the corner were the sounds of footsteps and mean talking, the guards. The ones they are supposed to be distracting so the others could slip away. The guards had a quick pace and they seemed to be rubbing their heads where Inej had hit them to knock them out for a short period of him. But that time was over and they had to act now or the guards would be too close for their plan to work.

"Time to put on a show,"  Jesper whispered holding up one of the flash bombs. Jesper and Inej both held their eyes closed as the bomb when off, a bright flash filled the hallway. "Ha! It worked!" Jesper cheered when he opened his eyes to find the guards screaming "Ah my eyes!" When the flash bomb blinded them for a brief moment.

"Jesper, let's go!" Inej yelled rushing past the blinded guards. But this wasn't it, it wasn't going to give enough time for the others to get out. They needed a bigger distraction. 

As the two ran down the hall they could hear the guards behind them yelling something about escaped prisoners. In no time more guards were rushing to the floor they were on.

Inej, with Jesper close behind her, pushed through a door that lead to a set of stairs. "I think we lost them," Jesper said with the relief of finally catching his breath.