My Hero

5 years later
***
Billy's POV

"Ready for your surprise, baby?" I grin at her

Jo giggles excitedly. "Yes, Billy."

"You're gonna love it." I say pulling over in front of a house.

There's one specific reason I bought this house and I can't wait for her to see it.

"Where are we?" she says looking over at me with bright eyes. That lifeless expression I once saw is now replaced with genuine happiness.

"Come on!" I say jumping out of the car. She follows you to the yard. I stop at the for sale sign and pull it from the ground dramatically.

"Welcome home, sweetheart." I say and I wait a moment for her to process my words.

Her mouth drops open and she turns to the little yellow house. It needs some work. It's not the nicest house on the street but I hope she'll love it.

"I don't love the color, but I thought we could paint it?" I say, waiting for her reaction. "And I know it's small but I..." I'm cut off by her sweet lips pressing into mine.

I smile into her kiss and she pulls away. "Billy, it's perfect." she squeals as she grabs my hand and pulls me towards the house.

It's a cute house. Nothing too fancy. It's one story. No basement.

Jo spins around excitedly, her bright blue dress twirling with her. I pick her up in my arms and carry her towards the backyard. "Close your eyes." I say and she lays her head on my chest, shutting her eyes lightly.

Now for the best part. I hope.

Once outside, I place her back on the ground and she looks up. There's a tree. A tree that looks just like her old one.

"Billy." she breathes. I see her eyes water and worry I made a mistake.

Until she takes off. Bare feet across the ground. The girl hates shoes.

She throws her arms around the trunk and looks up at the leaves with a giant smile.