Two

The nights that weren't too long ago Summery had turned dark, cold and bitter, Christmas and new year had only just passed. 

Meredith found herself curled in bed, Poppy by her side. She ran the soft ginger fur through her fingers.

These were however the nights Meredith preferred in some ways. In the summer she spent most evenings painting or writing, but in the darker evenings she found herself relaxing. 

A nature documentary played as she read on her kindle, a candle burning at her bedside. 

The other side of the bed is stone cold as always. she had never bought a guy here before. She had't been on a date or even kissed a guy since her ex boyfriend back in Chicago.

It was the fear of being hurt again, not physically but emotionally. 

She thought he felt the same as her and felt the bond, but in the final 5 months he began to belittle her, comment about things that made her conscious. He began to ignore her, she received very little attention from him. She kept putting it off,  ending the relationship.

But she was pushed over the edge after they argued one night and she was sent several videos of him with someone else. Having sex in his car with someone else to be exact. At the start she didn't believe it but more clear ones were sent and her fears were confirmed.

She finished her final semester and moved home , for around two months she moped around but she realised how loved she was and how he 'loved her' was not even a fraction to how loved she was here at home. 

She felt her eyes becoming heavy so decided to blow out her candle not wanting an accident or for her tiny Poppy to singe her tail. 

Snuggling back down into her duvet she turned off her lamp, her duvet was a feather filled one  making feel like she was honestly on a cloud.

She was awoken hours later by the ring of her phone, the sky was still dark, a quick glance at her clock made her aware it was only 1am. She looked at the name flashing accross her screen and sat up instantly.

"Addie, are you okay its 1am"Meredith yawned.

"Mer..i am so sorry to call...its..its my house.  Someone set it on fire its...its practically all gone. I...i have no where...i"She began her upset so clear and visible.

"Oh shit Addie. Come here. Do you want me to come and get you?"Meredith rushed 

"I can drive...clear my head. I managed to grab my laptop and a few clothes I have no idea what is left in there they were still fighting the blaze when I left. I drove to get checked out." Meredith nodded through the phone.

"Okay Addie.  I'm going to make sure the room is all okay for you. I will unlock the door now. Please drive safe"Meredith could here the tear of her bestfriend and nothing hurt her more. Once the call ended Meredith pulled herself from her bed and walked into the main bathroom, she added soaks to the tub with bubble bath and muscle relaxant before turning the tap on.

She wanted to make sure Addison felt welcome, she grabbed a fresh tooth brush that she kept in a drawer with fresh flannels, sponges and razors, she was always prepared.  She opened the cupboard in the bathroom and pulled out fresh towels.

She folded it all up and added the extra's onto the pile of folded towels. The bed linen was freshly applied yesterday.  She turned on the lamp and closed the curtains.

Patiently she awaited for her friend to arrive, she heard the tires on the gravel followed by the slam of the car door. 

Her front door knocked slightly followed by it opening. Once their eyes met Addison broke down into tears.