Chapter 1: The Screw Up

Wilbur sighed as his whole team glared at him.

"You fucked us up! The boss is gonna be pissed now y'know!" One guy said.

Wilbur never really cared to learn the names. They were all mean to him anyway.

He went through the corridors with his team until a familiar face stopped him.

"Will. Dad wants to see you. He heard about your mission. Can't wait to hear this grand excuse of yours." Wilbur looked at the floor as the guys snickered at him, but with one glare from Techno they stopped abruptly.

"Okay Tech. I will go now." His eyes were blurry from allergies, not because of any tears brewing in them. Absolutely not.

Wilbur walked alone in the hallways, grabbing his head, letting his hair get tangled around his fingers. What was wrong with him!? When and why did he fuck the mission up!?

Wilbur had the guy cornered. He pointed his gun as the guy trembled. All he knew is that this guy had some strong relations with rich fuckers and he was under strict instruction to take him out.

"P-please - I have a family! I have a wife, two kids, and another kid on the way! I-I also need to take care of my mother who's terminally ill!" Wilbur bit his lip, unable to collect his spinning thoughts.

Just a simple pull of a trigger. Just a twitch of the finger. That's all he had to do. That's all he was told to do.

Wilbur sighed as he lowered his gun, "go."

The guy looked surprised,"R-really?"

Wilbur huffed, "Yea, go before I change my mind! I would feel like shit if I removed a father from his childrens' lives." The guy grinned, not quite believing the news.

"Thank you! I won't forget this!" Then he ran off.

Wilbur recollected with his team and frowned at the many bodies lining the hallway of the facility. His team had ended all those lives without a second thought and he couldn't even kill one guy: the main guy! The one this mission was all about!

"Wilbur?" Wilbur jumped a little as he turned to a brunette with freckles splattered over pale skin. "How many did you kill? Did you get the main dude?"

"N-no." Wilbur looked down in shame.

The brunette looked at Wilbur in disgust, "Fucking top guy can't kill a helpless guy! What a joke!" The team snickered at him. He looked down in shame.

Wilbur just wished he was–

"Wilbur," a soft voice brought him out of his trance. "You'll get bald spots if you keep pulling on your hair like that." Techno gently pulled his hands away from his messy curls.

Wilbur nodded, afraid he might choke on words. His brother sighed, ruffled his hair, and left him to his thoughts.

His head was spinning when he finally arrived at the place he always dreaded the most, his father's office.

He hesitated as he placed his hand on the door handle, bit his lip, counted to five and opened the door.

His father was sitting on an extravagant chair, gesturing to an open seat.

"Wilbur, do sit down," Phil said before straightening a pile of documents on his desk.

It sent a shiver down Wilbur's spine. How long had Phil been waiting for him here?

The office was always so dark, and Phil had insisted on having dark oak furniture in the office, giving it a very unwelcoming feel.

Wilbur hesitantly perched on the green velvet chair Phil had gestured to. His father propped his elbows up on the polished surface of the desk and stared deep into Wilbur's chestnut eyes. He sighed.

"I'm just going to cut to the chase." Wilbur stiffened. That was never a good sentence to hear. "What you did out there, today, was truly unacceptable. You've brought shame upon yourself and our entire organization."

"I'm... sorry." What was Wilbur supposed to say to that?

"What were you thinking!? You had a great opportunity to take the target out and you missed it! Did you even take a shot!?"

Wilbur stayed silent.

"Wilbur. Answer me."

"I..." Wilbur looked down, unable to meet his father's gaze. "No."

He heard a sharp exhale and looked up to see his father's fuming face. It wasn't the anger that hurt, though. It was the disappointment.

A hot tear ran down his cheek. He just couldn't keep it in anymore. Phil's glare quickly turned into a small smile, and his voice softened.

"Listen Wil, I don't say this enough, but I truly love you." Wilbur wiped his tear away, "but you remind me a lot of your mother, I just don't want you to turn into the shitty traitor she was." And... there it was. Wilbur sighed.

"Thanks... I will be dismissing myself."

"Also, Wilbur, one more thing." Wilbur raised his brow. "To make sure you don't fail me again, Techno will be training you a little more. Training starts at 5 am tomorrow." Wilbur groaned, "Have a good night Wilbur!"

Wilbur left and headed to his room. The staff gave him a wide berth, undoubtedly whispering about how much of a screw up he was.

As soon as Wilbur shut his bedroom door, he threw a punch at the closest wall. There - it was perfect and clean and exactly on target. He acted without a second thought, why couldn't he do that out on missions?

Looking back at the wall, Wilbur realized he'd left a blood-splattered dent in the wall. FUCK.

Proving himself now will be fucking difficult.

------------------------------------------------------

Technically I did not get @Charlie_535 's permission to post this! It has been sitting for a week though so fuck it I am posting it! Have a great day!

Word Count: 895