1 | Winter

September 17th 2023 02:12 am Edinburgh, Scotland

September 17th 2023
02:12 am
Edinburgh, Scotland.

HARRY STYLES

"Does it ever make you sad?" The voice from beside me said, mellow, a contrast to the environment we were currently sitting in. "Knowing all of these people are so blissfully unaware."

I turned to face Niall. He was sitting up at the bar beside me, gloom written all over his face as he mindlessly stirred his drink, staring ahead at nothing. It was as if he was mindlessly speaking his thoughts.

The nightclub pulsated with life. The bass from the beats if the music reverberated through the floor and the air, sending pulsating vibrations through my chest. The bar stood to the side of the floor of dancing people, all having a fun time, unlike the two bodies sitting up at the bar. The lights were flashing, blue and purple, adding to the chaotic atmosphere. This club, wherever we were, was not my first choice of places to go, but Niall wanted to go and I felt obliged to go with him. I wouldn't have come if I knew we were just going to be sitting miserable in the corner of the club.

Behind the bar, the bartenders worked, juggling drinks and bottles to make everything to order, all of the cocktails being sold to the drunk people around us, who had no idea how much money they were spending on their alcohol. Even the workers looked like they were having a better night than us.

My brows furrowed when I looked at him, "What the fuck are you talking about?"

"Look at them." He motioned with his hand to the atmosphere around us, huffing dramatically. "All just enjoying their night, drinking, dancing." he just about rolled his eyes, but seemed like he didn't have the energy to. "They don't have a care in the world."

I grabbed a drink, a fresh whisky that had only been put down in front of me a minute or so ago, and I slid it across the table towards him. "There." I said. "Another one of them and you won't have a care in the world."

He stared at the drink and then looked up at me. I couldn't read the expression on his face, it was like a mix of offence and confusion. "How do you sleep at night?"

"Because I don't have a care in the world." was my only response.

"Right. I forgot." he rolled his eyes with a humourless laugh, "Heartless."

I reached to take my drink back, and took a few sips until the small glass was half empty.

"Get drunk, take a girl home." I suggested instead, giving his shoulder a small nudge, His expression stayed blank, it was beginning to seem impossible to cheer this guy up. "You'll sleep like a baby.''

"Is that your plan for tonight then?" he stared at me again with an expression of some sort of disgust, he couldn't understand how I had just suggested that. His brow raised. "To get drunk and take a girl home?"