43. Three Musketeers

Yeseul was in front of Hyunjin's house, clutching at her pearl purse, heart thumping a low nervousness. The blue of evening has arrived, leaving the house in a glory of sprouting life. She could hear the violin being playing in the hall. Orange lights inside illuminated shadows of people behind the screens. With a breath taken it, she took a step, passing through blossomed daisies.

Inside the walls, the scene was enthralling. People danced in gowns to the musical notes, laughing in groups of gold. The brightness of the party damped all signs of sadness that might have been lurking somewhere. Soji gave Hyunjin a smile across the room. The boy could barely replicate the expression. He had to finally face his grandmother.

A server walked up to him with alcoholic drinks in crystal glasses. He wasn't supposed to do this, but he downed it down. This could be what he needed to ease the knots in his stomach. Just as he was trying to steady his breath, Jeongin slipped beside him, holding him by the arm gently. "She's in the guest room."

"Okay." He could barely breathe. Hyunjin felt his legs turn numb, but despite the anxiety, he had to get over all that he had held back till tonight. He left just as soon Yeseul entered the hall.

"Yeseul!" Jeongin's face bloomed into a grin. Yeseul let out a sigh of relief. Familiar faces. What a beautiful thing to witness in a social event.

"I would've passed out if you weren't the first person I saw." Yeseul briefly rested her forehead on his shoulder. "Where is Hyunjin?"

"He left to talk to grandma." Yeseul could read the worry in Jeongin's face.

"I really hope it all goes well."

"Pray. He drank a bit. Pray he doesn't embarrass himself."

"Isn't he underage–" Yeseul choked. Jeongin doubled over in laughter.

"Rich people don't give a shit." Jeongin clasped Yeseul's wrist. "Let's see Soji."

They walked through the twirling pairs in the centre before dissolving among the audience. Yeseul caught the sight of Soji who was waving at them. She was using crutches to stand. Yeseul smiled when she saw white ribbons tied to the support. Soji was always seeking beauty, and this felt so much like her. Yeseul had to keep up with Jeongin unless she wanted to lose sight of them. Through this she could swear she stepped on enough toes.

"Let's get out of here." Soji pulled the both of them away from the hall. The orchestra played in the back, and as soon as they were in the hallway, the sound dimmed down. "Hyunjin told me you prefer avoiding crowds." Soji glanced over at Yeseul, who seemed to have gained back her composure.

"I'm surprised he noticed. The crowds always seem to attract adults."

Soji nodded, chuckling. "I feel you."

"Yeseul doesn't know the thing we prepared." Jeongin gave Yeseul a malicious look. She almost shuddered.

"What is it?"

"Nothing illegal." Soji stopped at a dutch door, pushing it open. The room looked like a set from a period movie. The themes were baby pink and beige. There was a bed placed against the wall, draped in satin and silk. Yeseul walked ahead, catching glimpse of chess board on a round table, with two ottomans. Persian carpet covered wooden floorboards. That one piece could be enough to sell her apartment.

"Woah."

"My girl is rich. She humbles me everyday." Jeongin whispered to Yeseul. Soji picked on it, and all she could do was tell the boy to stop bothering Yeseul.

"This is beautiful. I would honestly volunteer to be a prisoner here." Yeseul stood like a frozen being, afraid of toppling over the ceramics beside her. Soji let out a merry laugh at this.

"You are making me feel nervous now. Ease up a little. Most of these things are my uncle's. And he visits Korea every five years, so even if you break something, he would take too long to notice." Soji sat down, setting her crutches on the floor. She pulled a cardboard box in front of her. "Both of you, take a seat."

"Are we the only ones playing?"

Yeseul was barely done with the sentence when she heard incoming footsteps. The door flew open, and in came three new faces. Too young. Literal kids. Yeseul winced at the chaos they brought along.

"You didn't start before us, right?" They were quick to settle down. Yeseul had to double check whether they broke something in this short interval.

"No. I wouldn't dare." Soji smiled softly. "Would you guys like to introduce yourself to Yeseul?"

"I'm Nari. I'm ten." One chirped. "I'm Dae. I'm nine. I'm really good at hide n seek." Yeseul looked at the last one. "I'm Mihi. I'm eleven."

"That's lovely." Yeseul forced a smile. She was scared of children. "I'm Yeseul."

"You are Hyung's girlfriend, right?" Dae giggled in his hands. Mihi started gagging over air.

"I'm not!"

The whole room roared in laughter. Soji tried keeping a straight face, but seeing the children absolutely lose their minds over this allegation was quite something.

"Do you guys kiss?" "That's so gross." "Stop bullying her, he will be mad."

Yeseul felt deep desire to commit homicide. She drew in a deep breath, trying to hold it all back. This was not the right time.

"Settle down kids. We are about to play." Even Soji's voice couldn't calm them down.

"Anyone who speaks is poo." Jeongin knew the trick.

Yeseul had to stop herself from snorting. The silence was beautiful. Yeseul bowed at Jeongin from deep gratitude. Ten seconds passed.

"Let's play." Soji spoke.

"You're poo."

Everyone ignored Dae's whispered comment.

"Lo and behold." Soji pulled out an ouiji board. "Who is ready to call some ghosts?"

Yeseul watched the colour drain from the faces of the three children. She was so entertained.

This was going to be fun.