𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | mature conversations

"TWO TICKETS TO HAPPY Gilmore please!" Crystal eagerly approaches the movie theater cashier with Charlie's wallet. He was going to buy the tickets but Crystal really wanted to physically do it, so he was letting her... watching from a few feet away of course.

"That'll be $8.84."
"Okay!" She finds a ten dollar bill and waits for the man to count out her change and give her the stubs. The two are then let through the turnstiles and into the lobby, where they were set to wait for Charlie's friends. They took a seat on a bench.

Now that Charlie was in a relationship, he had been invited to take Crystal along on some double dates. He didn't cease the opportunity on most of them, as that would mean explaining the entire situation to people who most likely wouldn't understand. But this date, a trip to the movies, seemed like it would be safe to him. They'd only be able to talk so long, and he could coach Crystal on what to say. Not to mention he'd have an ally in the room — Fulton.

He ensured they arrived early so he could cycle through all the possible questions with her, questions like "who is Adam Sandler?" "why is this movie theater in a mall with an amusement park?" and arguably the most important, "why do I have to lie to your friends?" When she asks that, he doesn't know how to answer in a way that wouldn't confuse her or scare her, but he tries.

"'Because I don't know that they'll understand. And if they don't understand, I'll look like a bad guy."
"I don't like lying, Charlie." She crosses her arms.
"There's a difference between lying to lie and lying to protect yourself. Trust me, I don't like to lie, but this is the safer option." He rubs her shoulder. "You don't have to do anything you don't want to, but please at least consider it."
"I don't understand, but I'll do it..."
Crystal leans into his arm, her mind occupied with a dozen more questions. What is so wrong about me having amnesia that Charlie can't tell his friends? Is he embarrassed of me?

"What should I know about your friends?"
"Well, it's gonna be three couples. There's Connie and Guy — they've dated since middle school, and you met Connie at the school dance. Then there's Fulton and his date Olivia. They've been dating for a while but they aren't girlfriend-boyfriend... and I don't know that she wants to be. Also, Fulton knows about your amnesia, but he hasn't told anybody. Last, there's Luis and his girlfriend Angela. I don't really want you talking to them. Be nice and they'll be nice, just don't push conversation."
"Do they know I don't go to school?"
"I told them you're homeschooled."
"Do they know Chris and Carrie?"
"Yes, they do. They know Chris is very, very protective over you, and so am I. Nobody's gonna mess with you."
"...I wasn't expecting them to." She chuckles. "And what would you be able to do about it anyway, noodle arms?"
"Hey, I don't have noodle arms!"
"I don't know, they feel pretty noodle-y to me." She teases, waving his arm around.
"Crystal..." he rolls his eyes, still smiling. "You're supposed to compliment your boyfriend, not emphasize the obvious truth!"
His comment only makes Crystal laugh more, laugh until her stomach hurts. Charlie kisses her cheek just as his first set of friends arrive, Fulton and Olivia.

Charlie had mixed opinions about Olivia, but they were far less mixed than his feelings on Luis's girlfriend Angela. His opinion only grew to favor her as he observed her kindness toward Crystal. While he's blindly talking to Fulton, he notices that Olivia compliments Crystal's outfit, which is (as usual) very '80s, and very much what a tomboy would wear — her favorite overalls over a bright blue sweatshirt that slouched on her arms. The only thing saving her was the fact that nobody could see she had a velcro Rainbow Brite wallet in her pocket, accompanied by a Happy Days keychain.

The conversation continues as Guy and Connie arrive, dissipating an argument as they greet everyone. Connie makes a point of telling Crystal it was nice to see her and greets her like a good friend. Charlie feels a bit more secure upon seeing a smile on Crystal's lips. Still, when Luis and Angela show up, Charlie feels an overwhelming sense of caution. He slinks his arm around Crystal protectively but not obviously, ensuring they won't speak to her without talking to him first. Thankfully all they attempt is a mild "hello," both Luis and Angela being preoccupied with each other.