CHAPTER THIRTEEN

          Chapter thirteen

          Chapter thirteen

Aemond closed the door behind him. The door to their now shared room. Outside, Aegon hurled insults. Aemond forbade a bedding ceremony. Aemma was relieved, she hated the thought of the whole court seeing her bare and her scars. Both Aemma and Aemond were kicked out of their old chambers by the Queen, in hopes of a good marriage between her and Rhaenyra’s children.

Their new shared chamber was a grand one indeed. One fit for a prince and princess. A room with green walls and a canopy bed of gold. It was not exactly to her taste. But alas, now she had more important matters on hand. 

She sat in the bed, still. A thousand scenarios playing in her head. How could this night end? She had a duty as a wife, but would she be able to do that duty? All her earlier endeavours had been with women. Not that she did not like men, she did. But the only man on her mind was Aemond. And he was her husband now. She had an interest in him since childhood. But she did not know who he was anymore. The tall man in the room, staring anywhere but her, was different from her childhood friend.

Not knowing what to do, she started to let her hair down. Aemond’s attention perked up at the sound of her taking out her pins. “Listen, I don’t know what you are thinking, but I will not bed you. At least not until we absolutely have to.” confessed Aemond, looking extremely nervous.

Aemma chuckled at his reaction. “Are you laughing at me?” questioned Aemond, turning his head towards her. “I agree, I don’t hope to consummate this marriage earlier than it has to.” said Aemma, without answering his question as she looked at him, an eye patch still on his maimed eye.

Aemond hummed a response as he drew a curtain in the middle of the bed. “We can always remove this before we wake up,” added Aemond, handing her his dagger. “Cut your finger and let the blood drop into the sheets.”

Aemma sliced her finger slightly as she thought about how prepared Aemond was about their situation. They both slept, never once looking at each other. 

She woke up before him somehow, no matter how untrustworthy she seemed to him, he looked like he slept soundly. She slowly got up and yawned, rubbing her eyes, she tried to sense her surroundings. Symbols of the faith hung over her room. The decorations were green in colour.