Chapter 35 - Strange Feelings

It had taken mere days for the elves to set up the warding needed to protect the city. Aveyon's training, however, never stopped. Training was farthest from her mind this morning. Two more weeks had passed in the blink of an eye.

Kirra had stepped in to help train her for a time with her blood wielding. Given that these new undead, as they were calling them, were connected to ichor, they were experimenting to see if Aveyon had any control over it like she had commanded Vincent by the lake when she was awakened. However, it appeared to have been altered, it was as though Ashera knew everything, she was capable of, and it was frustrating to say the least.

She had woken early and headed to the baths, needing some time to mull over her next actions. She had soon become lost in thought as she stared at the warm water. Its gentle lapping appearing to be so inviting, her body all too ready to soak in its depths and relax her aching muscles.

But... how long had it been? She wondered. Her hand brushed the surface of the water, making the image of her reflection dispersed. Looking at her own reflection left an ache in her heart. How long had it been since she'd cared about a thing like that? Being normal? Looking normal? When had that come back to her?

She sighed; she was thinking like a child. Appearances didn't really matter in the master plan, her pasty white skin riddled with scars would always remain. There was no point in dwelling on it. Slipping the white nightgown off her shoulders she slid into the swallow pool of water. Another day of training would start soon, she couldn't hide away in the baths forever. Erisena would have her head for being late. She washed quickly, leaving little time for leisure.

As she approached the edge of the man-made pool, a voice from behind the bathhouse door could be heard, she kinked her head to listen.

"Vincent! The lady is having her morning bath! You musn-"

They were cut of abruptly as the door flung open, she didn't have time to think but her body reacted. The first dagger she dodged by twisting her body out of the projectiles course. The second, now that she was facing her assailant, she caught between her fingers with ease. With deadly accuracy she flung the weapon back at her attacker. It hit the door frame, embedding itself only inches from his head, where she had been aiming. In any other situation she would have hit, but she knew this was training.

Vincent stood looking down at her, mildly stunned, he tilted his head to look at the dagger. "Please tell me, you weren't actually trying to kill me, Princess?"

Aveyon folded her arms under her breasts and answered his question with a smirk.

"Your reactions are getting much better, however your movements are still quite slow." he added as his eyes narrowed to a spot on her hip.

She frowned inspecting the area, a thin line of blood had formed - it was merely a scratch.

"The water..." she mumbled to herself.

Walking to the edge of the pool she could feel the friction it applied to her legs. She made a mental note, she must remember that the environment she was fighting in affected the way she moved.

The elven attendant finally came running in having caught up. "YOU despicable man! HOW dare you!" She shouted and proceeded to beat Vincent with a towel while Aveyon fetched a spare one to dry herself off.

Funny how she was envious of a scar-free body but never once hid it away from Vincent, maybe because they had spent so much time together in the same room, clothes were nothing but fabric that helped her stay warm.

Aveyon hid a smile. "Merissa, it is okay really..." she began but knew it was no use, the women were furious.

The elf wouldn't let up. "You train her day and night with Mistress Erisena and don't even let her rest or take a bath!"