12 | A Italian Night

Ellie's POV:

We walked up the stairs, arm in arm, one step at a time. 

Paparazzi stood at either side of the carpet, as their heads immediately turned when they got a glance of me and Nik.

The men in formal wear turned around fast as they started to click their cameras.

Flashes began to consume the space.

As both me and Nikolai stopped in our tracks to pose for pictures.

"Mr. Russo! Are you and Ms. Brown together?" One of them yelled.

I felt my anxiety began to rise again.

My body began to shake.

God damn it.

I forgot about the cameras. I forgot that we HAD to act like we were together due to the rules of the Mafia.

How did I even get Tangled up in this mess.

Nik turned his head to face me as he smiled, but this time with his teeth.

His bright white pearls shined through his lips as I did the same thing.

Click. Click. Snap. Snap.

"Ms. Brown!! Are you actually dating a Russo?"

My eyes widened slightly as I looked at him with urgency.

"What should I say?" I whispered through my teeth.

"Nothing." He replied. "Just pose and keep going."

I nodded as our heads turned.

"Mr. Russo! Are you guys here as a couple! Are you guys engaged?"

God. They just don't know when to knock it off.

"Come on. Let's go." Nik said.

I nodded as we began to walk up again, leaving the photographers very mad and frustrated as they continued to ask so many questions.

****

Soon, we arrived at the party as we began to walk around.

First, we stopped at the bar and got some drinks and honestly barely said a word.

That was until a lovely couple came up to us and started to gossip.

A lovely woman who was maybe in her early 30s with bright red hair was locking arms with her husband. He had short blonde hair that was slightly wavy as he gave us a polite nod.

"Well. If it isn't Nikolai Russo." The man said with a small grin.

Nik gave one in return. "Yes. How are you, Daniel."

Nikolai stuck his hand out as Daniel took into his grasp and shook his hand.

"It's so nice to see you here. Although, I was expecting to see Mr. Brown and his wife."

I wanted to roll my eyes.

Daniel looked me up and down with a disgusted look, as his wife eyed me like a snake.

I honestly want to cry right now.

"Yes, we'll. Ms. Beverly is currently in labor with their second child, and both were unable to attend. So, me and his sister Ms. Brown have taken their place."

Daniel's lips quivered as his eyes looked at me deciete.

"Ah. I see. I am surprised that you showed up with her, though Nik."

His head turned slightly. "Why is that?"

Oh God.

"Well. I hate to break it to you hun. But this is for people who ACTUALLY want to be here. Not for some peasant who has no place of being here."

My eyes bulged out of my head when he said that.

The fuck does he think he is talking to?

"Dear. Come now. We shouldn't be rude." His wife replied as she tapped his arm.

"Now, now Elizabeth. I am not being rude I am simply stating the truth. She doesn't belong here. Which is why I am simply telling Nik here I didn't know why he brought her."

My lips parted as I felt Niks hand go on my wrist. He was trying to tell me to keep calm.

But I was about to unleash on this phony bitch.

I began to laugh.

Out loud.

Daniel looked at me confused, and so did Nikolai.

"I am sorry. What is it that you do again Mr. What was it. Dan?"

He cleared his throat. "I work in the automobile business."

I swung Nikolai's hand off my arm, as I took 2 steps closer to Daniel. I was so close to him I could practically hear his heartbeat.

"And my brother and father kill people." I whispered.

He narrowed his eyes. "Your father is dead."

A smirk lifted my cheeks. "Yes, indeed he is Mr. Daniel. But my brother is not. And neither am I."

"And guess what? I have been trained for years to deal with assholes like you. Or rather. Kill. People like you. I would love to do it. I don't mind at all. So if you dare talk about me like that, or disrespect my honor as a Brown again. I will have you killed. And not by someone I know. I will personally do it with my two bare hands. And i will have you rot in a casket."

His face lit up with rage, his wife looked offended. While I smiled.

Nik just stared at me.

I bowed my head. "If you will excuse me. I am going somewhere where I ACTUALLY belong."

I didn't even bother to look at any of their faces, as I walked past them. Not even waiting for Nikolai to catch up.

I immediately began to walk outside, as the stars began to shine high in the sky.

People surrounded the party as multiple of them looked at me. Their eyes lingered on me for what felt like forever.

I felt almost trapped.

I felt like I was about to have a panic attack. 

I looked around and soon saw a pathway into some flower bushes and immediately walked toward it.

Soon, I entered the pathway as I followed it. Every step I took. I took with caution until I came to an edge.

It was small fence that looked down into a fountain.

I smiled slightly at the sight of peace.

Their was nothing but flowers, water and birds chirping.

I felt my anxiety immediately began to go down as my ears were no longer worried about the party. Or anything at all.

I sat my arms against the edge, as I admired the beautiful view, taking a few deep breaths here and their.

This is why I hate parties.

I hate them because I am not comfortable when it comes to being around a lot of people that I have never met, nor really care about.

And especially after my whole thing with that guy. We'll. That just proved how much I actually hate them.