The Follow

All was quiet...all was without sound...without any meaning of sense...like nothing was everything...

Then, a bright light cut through

A person was on a wooden platform, a single cord holding them up, below them was a pit...a very deep pit...and behind them was a wall of jagged spikes pointing their direction. Panicking, they looked around, then, the sound of a Television turning on caught their attention

"Hello Sam...you don't know me...but I know you...I want to play a game..."

The person shook their head in disbelief

"You had a promising start...adoring parents...a good school...good friends...the occasional rainy day...then you decided to run where dogs lie...finding yourself in a train track, your head on the railing, waiting for your end...until he appeared..."

In a separate room, behind a window, the same person was on the other side, unconscious, dangling over a meat grinder. The person immediately tried to run to him, but found the wire holding them in place

"He didn't chastise you...didn't expect anything from you...only wanting to see you smile...your real smile...you felt free...enjoying every breath you took...gluing yourself to him...and he loved it too...you two were inseparable...then...you thought it was enough..."

The tone changed, the television flashed pictures of them purposefully avoiding him, not helping when they were bullied, throwing them under the bus, and leaving them alone in their time of need.... The person's eyes start tearing up, desperately trying to reach for their partner, the wire pulling them back still

"A swan doesn't need an ugly duckling"...were your exact words...your final words to him...before of your discovery of their attempted suicide..."

Memories flooded into their mind...memories of what they could've done differently...the thought, 'I never should've cared what others thought...you were...are the most important person in my life...why...why did I leave you...? When you never left me...?'

"Since you believe yourself a swan, you're going to fly like one...you should see the pit in front of you...right now, that wire is holding you on the plank of wood...in front of you are melted wax and feathers...the craftsman Daedalus made two sets of wings for him and his Son Icarus...you must do the exact same thing...and you better hurry...neither the wall behind you or the grinder under him will wait..."

The meat grinder started running and the spiked wall started moving inch by inch

"Icarus flew to high and paid the price...will you make the same mistake...?"

"Live or Die Sam..."

"Make your choice"