Fair in Love

The soft click of game pieces could be heard throughout a small, opened drawing room within Peach's castle. Two beings were sat at a chess table, having tea and company with one another. The faint sound of Toadstool guards and servants weren't enough to distract any concentration.

One was dressed in a dress of a desert sunset; draped in orange, gold, and white. An emerald jewel sat flush against her chest, resting directly middle of her dress. She sat more lounged compared to her friendly opponent, who slouched slightly in his concentration.

"Luigi," she said softly, moving slightly to pick up a tea cup that seemed to have been neglected, "you've always been better at this game then me. You're going to hurt yourself concentrating that hard."

Her opponent looked up at her, almost as if he was interrupted from a daydream. His lip twitched as he ran a hand over his face and tried to relax. If one were to look closely at him, it would appear as if he hadn't been relaxed in days. He sighed softly before leaning back in his chair.

Luigi was wearing a soft green suit with white and gold underneath, as today was an important meeting day. He adorned his usual cap, leaning his head on his gloved hand. He seemed uncomfortable as he shifted once more in his chair. He was hyper aware of how the suit didn't quite fit him in the right places and how tight the small shoes were.

"Sorry, Daisy," he replied, running a hand through his hair, "I guess I've just been preoccupied."

Daisy smiled softly at him.

The two had met maybe a year after Bowser had attacked Brooklyn. Peach had offered the Mario bros to go to Sarasland to see more of the world outside of the mushroom kingdom and to meet Daisy. Luigi had wanted to stay home since he had gotten caught up with a small problem with harassment from the Boos and nightmares; but Mario insisted it would've been good for them. Luigi was outvoted 2:1; so he left with Peach and Mario.

Once arrived, the pair had met on accident. Daisy had been running away from one of her Toadstool advisors and ran straight into Luigi after Peach and Mario had went to go find the sunny colored empress. After almost giving each other concussions, Daisy had grabbed Luigi and dragged him into a vacant room to hide.

They had started talking, going back and forth in making light of the situation until Peach and some others found them. The two of them began to confide in each other really quickly. Any chance they could, they challenged each other and helped better each other. Luigi calmed Daisy's Sarasland desert type temper, while Daisy helped Luigi be more confident. They saw each other as best friends; only made slightly awkward since Peach had been trying to force them together as of late.

"You're anxious about the meeting," Daisy said, finishing off her tea before moving to move her knight chess piece across the board. Luigi was slightly startled at a soft yip. He looked and smiled softly down at Polterpup, gently scratching its head before turning back to Daisy.

"Is it that obvious?"

Daisy raised an eyebrow at him.

"Weegie," she said, crossing her arms, "we've been best friends for four years. You can't hide anything from me." Luigi chuckled softly, moving forward and moving his bishop piece and knocking Daisy's knight. "You're right," he admitted, "It's not just the meeting though. I mean, yea, sitting in a meeting with someone who considers you their arch-enemy is nerve wracking. I don't know how Mario does it with Bowser sometimes."

Daisy nodded, going and moving her bishop piece close to attack Luigi's queen piece. Luigi raised an eyebrow at her, using his queen piece to knock the bishop. "Honestly Daisy," he smirked softly at her, "we play this game every other time you're here. You'd think you'd learn." Daisy returned the smirk.

"I'm not patient enough for these types of games," she answered, seeing no harm in her friend's comment, "you know that. Besides, you were always more cunning then me." The princess moved her queen piece to try and knock one of Luigi's knights, but her friend countered by taking her second knight.

"Check."

"And anyway, what was that comment about not just the meeting. You know full well that King Boo won't try anything," she said, shifting slightly to grab a nearby tart. Luigi sighed and took a long sip of his own tea, watching as Daisy moved her king piece.

"I've just been a bit restless. Between Peach getting kidnapped every other week, her building projects, and then Boo's advances, haven't had the best time for relaxation," he answered, pausing slightly to look over the board, "not to mention the toads have been saying things when they don't think I can hear."

Daisy paused and gave him a look. "King Boo has been giving you advances?"

Luigi bit his lip and simply moved his next piece, knocking down Daisy's right side castle. Daisy knew well enough that Luigi's silence was more powerful then his reply. She frowned softly, "oh Weegie..."

"Checkmate," Luigi muttered, moving his queen piece and taking Daisy's queen piece. He got up and had Polterpup follow him just as a Toad came to collect them. The toad was surprised to see the two friends already finished with their game. "King Boo has arrived. Everyone is awaiting for you in the conference room."

Luigi nodded and fixed his suit, fixing his hat as well as Daisy got up. "Thank you, please lead the way." She said softly to the servant. The toad turned and left the room. Luigi went to follow but Daisy stopped him, giving him a worried look.

Luigi stared back at her and gently held her hand, squeezing it. "Come on, we can't keep them waiting." He said, leaving the room with Polterpup yipping happily at his heels.