Chapter 20

Unedited.

I'm sorry this update took so long. School had been crazy and I've had no free time to do ANYTHING. I know there's not a lot of people that read the story but for those that do, I'm sorry!

Over three thousand reads?! Thank you!

______________________

When they got home, Rebecca went straight for the kitchen. She needed food, chocolate specifically. It was either that or curl up on her bed, burying her attention in a book. Chocolate sounded better right now. All her books were fantasy and the last thing she needed was to be reminded of Mikael's accusation. Fantasy meant that it didn't exist; Rebecca certainly wasn't a creature of fantasy.

               How long had it been since she'd had the exact same conversation with Jackson? Technically, it hadn't been the same, but Rebecca had to wonder if she'd somehow been predicting the future. All of a sudden, her life was the book she'd been talking about. She — supposedly — was a Faerie. Now all she had to do was meet a prince and they could run off together, others after them.

               Rebecca sighed loudly, gaining the attention of her mother, sitting on the kitchen table, sorting through what looked like bills. "Rebecca, what are you doing?"

               "Kitchen. Chocolate," she muttered, winding her way around the table. Some of the chairs were spread haphazardly around the dining room, a tripping hazard for Rebecca who fell over anything.

               Her mother put the paper in her hands on the table with a frown. "What?"

               "I'm hungry mum," Rebecca said, walking around the island bench of the kitchen to the fridge. "Hospital food sucks. And I was out of it most of the time." She grabbed some caramel chocolate out of the fridge, snapping a square out of the bar. "How was court?"

               "You don't care what court was like, honey. Where's you dad?"

               "I can pretend," Rebecca said, around a mouthful of food. She pointed towards her parents' room. "Dad went to go and get changed."

               Her mother nodded, standing from her seat. "Becca, come here. I need to hold you."

               Putting the bar back in the fridge, Rebecca walked over to her mother. Arms wrapped around her when she got close and Rebecca sank into the embrace. The rough material of the suit, pinched uncomfortably against her cheek. Winding her arms around her mothers' waist, Rebecca let herself relax.

               Mikael's words still weighed heavily on her mind, she was paranoid that the necklace would magically appear out of nowhere . . . but, here, wrapped in her mother's embrace, she was okay. Her sanity was still in question. None of it mattered. All that did was the smell of the perfume that clung to her mothers' suit jacket and how she could suddenly breathe easily.

               "I was so worried about you," her mother whispered into her hair.

               Rebecca frowned, wondering if she looked like she'd seen a ghost — and she didn't even want to begin considering if that was a metaphor or the truth. "I'm fine mum."

               "What happened? The school called, telling me that they were rushing you away in an ambulance. I didn't get to talk for long — the break in my case wasn't a long one."

               How was she supposed to explain any of it? To her own ears it sounded like she'd taken a hallucinogenic. A good one too. It was only a matter of time before the cops came, interrogation questions in hand.