Chapter 22

Unedited.

This chapter is sort of like a history lesson so I hope it's not too boring. It sets up the ending, so I have to see there will be a lot more history lessons in future chapters. I'll try and make it as exciting as possible. After all, this is my book so I can make the history as fun as I want.

__________

               When Rebecca roused again, she felt a solid presence against her body. She glanced at her dad, fighting a smile. He was lying on his back, snoring softly. It never ceased to amaze her, how amazing she felt being able to say she had parents—a dad that wasn't there just to use her as a punching bag.

               "Becca, you hungry?"

               Rebecca glanced over at her mother, standing in the doorway of her room. She was dressed in a black pantsuit, the white shirt underneath visible. Out of habit, Rebecca glanced outside where the sun was streaming through the blinds of her room.

               "What time is it?" she asked, starting to get up. She had school and though she loathed to go — loathed to face Mikael again — she had to go.

               "Seven thirty. What do you want for breakfast?"

               "Mum, you don't have to—"

               "Eggs and bacon," her dad muttered, without opening his eyes. "I'll get up soon and cook it."

               Her mother shook her head. "No you won't. You don't have a case until the afternoon. Sleep in."

               Her dad still didn't open his eyes, but he did let Rebecca get up. "What time do you want it?"

               "Honey—"

               "Time?" her dad, repeated once again. It was clear he wasn't budging on the issue.

               "Oh, fine." Her mother threw her hands in the air. "You're bossy, you know that?"

               "I'm offering to make breakfast and you're complaining?" her dad muttered.

               At that, he got a smile in return. "No. You're just lucky I love you."

               Her dad scoffed. "Of course you love me. How could you not?"

               As her mother walked into the room, Rebecca walked down the hall into the bathroom. She didn't have any clothes with her, but she'd just wrap a towel around her body. She had to get ready now otherwise she'd be late.

               The last thing she heard was the sound of a kiss.

               *

               Dressed in jeans and a black shirt, Rebecca walked into the kitchen. The smell of bacon wafted around the kitchen — a heavenly smell.

               "Morning. You hungry?"

               Rebecca smiled at her dad, still dressed in black sweat pants and the shirt. "I am now. Bacon always makes me hungry."

               Running her fingers through her drying hair, she tried to comb out the knots. It was too wet to brush; Rebecca would just end up splashing water all over herself.

               "Becca," her dad began, voice cautious. Rebecca didn't like the sound of it. At all. Her dad was a blunt person naturally. Any time he was cautious about something, it wasn't a good thing. "Do you want to talk about it?"