11. The Future

A few months later

I watch as Sage glares up at him. "I'm trying! It's kinda harder than it looks, you know?" She shouts.

She has a death grip on both of our hands now. I stand to the right of the bed, and Bryan stands to the left. "You can do this Sage! Come on. You can do this!"

She breathes deeply, just the way she was taught in her birthing classes. "I-i'm trying!" She cries.

"Doctor, she's crowning," A short, brunette nurse says.

The doctor nods to her and then glances up at Sage. "Alright, sweetheart. We are almost there, we need a few good pushes."

She nods her head, and then I feel her grip tighten on my hand. My eyes grow wide, and I grit my teeth, glancing up to see Bryan with the same expression on his face. Sage lets out a long, strained, groan, pushing with all of her might. "Oh God," she says. Breathlessly after pushing, she glances at Bryan, shaking her head. "Never again. No sex ever again."

Bryan scoffs. "Whatever you say, love. You're doing great, keep going."

She takes another deep breath and looks down at the doctor. He gives her the cue, and she starts squeezing our hands again. My mouth falls open, and I'm about to let out a yelp when I hear Sage scream out of pain instead. "Get it out!" She shouts. "Damnit, just pull it out already!"

At this point, I'm pretty sure that Jacob, Stefan, and his new girlfriend, and Eric can all hear Sage screaming from down the hall in the waiting room.

"One more big push!" The doctor exclaims.

Sage squeezes her eye shut, and this time when she grips my hand, I squeeze back, sportively. "You're so amazing, Sage! You're almost there! Almost there!"

"Here it comes," The doctor says.

I feel Sage release my hand as she throws her head back in relief. The room fills with the cries of a newborn baby, and I watch as the doctor hands the baby off to a nurse, who quickly rushes off to clean the baby up.

In a moment, the ambiance of the room shifts to the calm after the storm. It shifts from a roaring tornado to the sound of rain pattering lightly on a tin roof at night. I glance over, and Bryan is smoothing Sage's hair back, and kissing her nose, and forehead. They whisper I love you to each other, laughing, and smiling. My heart fills with warmth, two of my best friends are experiencing one of the greatest joys of their life together, and they picked me to share it with.

Sage glances over at me, a wide grin splayed across her tired face. "Why are you crying, Mya?"

I didn't notice until now, but as I wipe my hand across my cheek, I realize that I a, crying. I let out an emotional laugh and leaned down to hug her. "I think that I am just really, really happy for you guys."

When I pull away, the nurse is walking towards us with a little bundle in her arms. She gently hands it over to Sage, and as soon as the baby is wrapped tightly in her arms, I see her entire face light up. "What is it?" she asks the nurse.

"It's a boy!" The woman exclaims.

As she walks away, Bryan glances from me to Sage. "What should we name him?"