Chapter 20: What being a Sub means

"to heal you have to get to the root of the wound and kiss it all the way up" (Rupi Kaur)

DARREN'S POV

"Maybe I need to be punished."

I was so surprised by Kyle's request that for a moment, I thought I had heard it wrong. One look at Nate's face told me I did in fact hear him correctly, for the other man looked as taken aback as I felt. The silence stretched between us, and I knew I had to break it, before Kyle  started panicking and got cold feet.

But what should I do? It wasn't that I did not want to grant his request. In fact, giving him his first punishment would represent a huge step in our relationship, and I was incredibly proud of my mate for having the courage to ask for it. It would also be the opportunity to show him that being a Sub was not a bad thing, and that he could trust his instincts around us - that he could trust us. Of course, trust did not come in one day, and it was understable that Kyle was a defiant werewolf, after all he had endured. Still, if everything went well, it should bring us closer together.

Yes, but what if things didn't go well? I never punished Nate, not as a Dominant wolf would punish a Sub anyway. The reason was that I knew Nate was not into it. I was aware of what being a Dom mated with a Sub implied, theoretically speaking, but I lacked practical experience. What if I scared Kyle away? What if he was not ready for it? What if he felt even worst after his punishment? He had been hurt in the past, partly because of us, and he was still hurting. I wanted nothing more than cuddle him for hours and chase his pain away, not aggravate it.

"That's absolutely fine, sweetheart. We told you, you should feel free to ask us anything" Nate eventually whispered.

I turned my head to look at Nate, who gave me a pointed look in return. I did not need to use our mental link to understand what that expression meant.

Get your shit together, Dar.

I cleared my throat, making Kyle's eyes, which had been glued to the ground since his unexpected and bold request, go up to my face. There was a slight hint of red on his cheeks, and he was frowning, obviously worried that we were judging him in a bad way for what he had indirectly admitted.

Now it's your time to have faith in yourself, Darren, I told myself. To have faith in the three of you. You can do it. Together. As long as you tell each other what is on your mind and communicate your limits and desires.

I calmly sat on a large rock, feeling Kyle's eyes still fixed on me. He was analyzing my every move, trying to assess my reactions and it broke my heart to see him so insecure. This certainly wasn't the Kyle the other pack members knew.

Suddenly, I knew how I should behave. I just had to follow my instincts as an Alpha and as the Dominant mate of a Submissive werewolf. At the moment, Kyle needed to feel grounded and protected. He needed to release control to someone who cared for him.

It hadn't been the result of any strategy, what had happened earlier. I had laid on Kyle in my wolf form without thinking, with the sore intent of calming my distressed mate, and it had worked even better than I had expected. Blanketing him was definitely something I was going to do again in the future.

"Come closer, Kyle" I ordered, in a quiet but firm voice.

He hesitated, but only for a fraction of second, before taking timid steps forward until he was staying in front of me, close enough that we could touch.

I didn't touch him, though. Not yet. I didn't want to startle him, so I had to keep it slow.

Nate moved a bit closer as well, standing right behind me, but he was keeping silent, observing the scene without taking part in it. Another day I would ask him to join, but I had a feeling that for now, it would overwhelming for Kyle to deal with both of us at the same time. He was also more used to obey my orders than Nate's, although in a very different context.