OLD VERSION Chapter 11: Guilty conscience

Darren's POV

"What kind of Alpha am I, Nate, if I can't even protect my own people, let alone my mate?"

"Stop torturing yourself, Dar. There's nothing you could have done. Beside, Kyle is going to be okay. His wounds are almost healed, you know how resilient werewolves are. We arrived just in time to save him"

"Maybe he's going to be physically fine, but I'm more worried about his mental state".

They were both silent for a minute. Darren knew they were both thinking about the same thing: Kyle. Kyle wasn't okay, he probably hadn't been okay for years, and even if they had good reasons to be mad at him, they were starting to feel guilty. What Kyle had tried to do to Nate, years ago, had been despicable and unforgivable, yet many years had passed since that awful night. Maybe they should have allowed him to explain himself, instead of immediately excluding him. Besides, after Kyle's parents died, they had not been supporting him as much as they should have done. They were so happy, so in love with each other that they did not hang out with their best friend as often as they used to do. Teenagers could be especially cruel, but maybe Kyle wasn't the only one to blame here.

"I am worried about him" Nate admitted after a while. "I want to help him, but he won't open to us. Sometimes, I feel like he desperately want to tell us something, but he doesn't trust us enough to do so".

"He is hiding something" Darren agreed. 

"These last few days, I have discovered... things about Kyle. He's full of surprises". 

At that, Darren let out a soft chuckle. "You're still thinking about the spanking".

Nate blushed. "Yeah, well, that was kinda hot. I would have never expected him to actually enjoy it. He's always so cold and intimidating". 

"Wish you had been the one doing the spanking?"

Nate sighed before answering. " As if he would ever let me! You're different. Everyone can tell you are a natural leader"

"Yeah, well, I think Kyle would not mind if you were the one punishing him, though he might never admit it out loud". 

Nate looked a little too pleased with the idea, and Darren laughed, letting his mate enjoy his pervert thoughts. At least, while he was fantazing, Nate wasn't worrying about Kyle, like he had been constantly doing since they had found Kyle a few days ago, completely passed-out and broken, surrounded by angry humans. Suddenly, they heard Kyle's loud cry and rushed to their tent.

Kyle's POV

He did not want to go home. He never did, but it's not like he had any choice on that matter: his uncle was now his legal tutor, and he had to obey him. He wishes he could have a sleepover at Darren's or Nate's house instead, but he did not want to bother them. Besides, he was tired of witnessing their happiness without being a part of it. If only they knew what happened behind the closed doors of his uncle's house, or  at the very end of the forest. What his uncle was doing was forbidden, and young Kyle was perfecly aware of it. He knew he should talk about it to someone, but when he looked, he did not find anyone who would listen to him. He was just a troublesome teenager, and his uncle was a trusted and respected member of their pack. None would believe him, and he was too ashamed to talk about it anyway. The only place he felt safe was at school, but high school was almost finished, meaning he would have to spend the whole summer with his uncle, since his friends were going abroad for the holidays. This only meant more time for the training, the beating and the chimical treatment supposed to prevent him from maturing into a Submissive. The effects of the drugs were unbearable, but Kyle found the psychological training almost harder to endure. "Never talk unless I ask you a question. Don't smile, laugh or show the others what you're feeling. Stop mentionning your friends, I already told you, they're not your friends. Friendship is an illusion created to give a sense of purpose to the weakest among us. And above all, never, never cry, or I will make you wish you were never born".