Chapter 20

Eren continues the conversation, his voice tinged with a mixture of uncertainty and determination. "Sometimes, I find myself questioning the necessity of our attack. The Rumbling will inevitably bring destruction to Liberio. There's a part of me that believes there might be a chance for a peaceful resolution, an end to this conflict without bloodshed. But deep down, I know the reality. The chances of that happening are slim. The world has already made up its mind against us."

He pauses, the weight of his words hanging in the air. "After the hearing, Gloria approached me. She sought to bring our plea to the other nations, hoping for an audience, a chance for understanding. If only they had listened, perhaps they wouldn't have been present during that fateful speech."

Gloria interjects, her voice filled with a hint of regret and resolve. "During that time, peace with Eldians seemed an impossible dream. I took it upon myself to reach out to Zeke, to orchestrate Eren's arrival at Fort Salta. It was there that Eren and Falco's involvement in the plan to attack Liberio began."

Eren's gaze meets Falco's, acknowledging the anger and betrayal in his eyes. "I understand you're upset. You feel used, and for that, I can't apologize enough."

"Yeah," Falco replies bitterly, his glare unwavering. "I can't simply forgive you for manipulating me all this time..."

Eren directs his gaze towards Falco, his expression softening slightly. "I am grateful for what you did. Especially back then when you brought Reiner before me. Do you remember our conversation during that encounter?"

Falco visibly flinches, his eyes reflecting a mix of guilt and unease. Gabi notices Falco's reaction and turns to him, her voice laced with concern. "Is there something you haven't shared with us, Falco?"

Taking a moment to collect his thoughts, Falco hesitates before speaking. "When I brought Reiner to where Eren Yeager was, Eren recognized Reiner as an old acquaintance. He confronted Reiner, questioning why his mother had been devoured by a Titan, and why the walls had been breached. He spoke of their shared experiences, claiming that he, too, was similar to Reiner. It was an intense exchange, and Reiner seemed traumatized. Eren... he almost seemed to provoke Reiner, almost as if he wanted Reiner to end his suffering by his hand."

Eren closes his eyes, a somber expression on his face. "Reiner is undoubtedly scarred by his experiences. He came to Paradis Island seeking answers, only to discover that inside the walls, we're all the same. But the notion of us being devils has been ingrained in your minds. Yet, all we've done is reciprocate. The attack on your hometown was not more horrendous than what was inflicted upon ours. You accuse me of killing your two friends, but Reiner took the lives of hundreds of my comrades. It's not just Reiner; the entire world bears responsibility. Reiner, like all of us, was a victim. That's why I issued a warning to the Eldians before initiating the Rumbling."

Aya interjects, her voice tinged with urgency. "Allow us to elucidate why we've returned. The other nations' military forces are amassing once more, plotting the island's annihilation. Armin and your so-called Alliance have attempted to quell tensions, but at what expense? The Wall Titans and Founding Titans are no longer within our grasp, preventing the possibility of another Rumbling. However, Paradis Island remains technologically disadvantaged compared to the rest of the world. If survival is our aim, reclaiming the Titans is our only path forward."

Levi's eyes narrow as he questions the validity of the information. "How can you be certain that Marley is among those plotting an attack on Paradis Island?"

Petra responds, her voice laced with a hint of distress. "We had to resort to extreme measures with some captured spies from Zweiflusse. They confessed that Marley provided a virus intended to cripple our military defenses, aiming to weaken us."