seven

Link spotted him just in time.

A man dressed in red wearing a mask with an upside down Sheikah eye knelt on the roof of a tower, his bow drawn, aiming directly for Princess Zelda.

Link was too many levels below him to reach him with his sword, and he wouldn't risk throwing it. On the off chance he missed, the man would make off with it without hesitation. Link felt fear crawl up his throat and shoved it down deep. He couldn't afford to make any mistakes because he was afraid.

The princess couldn't afford any errors.

Link couldn't reach the Yiga, so he would have to reach the princess. He did something his father would scold him endlessly for.

He leapt over the wall on the side of the open walkway and free-fell down to the level below. He landed on his feet and rolled to take the impact off of his legs. He winced as he felt his elbows and knees scrape the stone.

He wasted no time, however, and raced for the doors to the castle. Link slammed them open, and the guards inside all started. He shot past them, grabbing one of their swords and sheathing his own. The man shouted in protest.

Link would deal with that after.

"Princess!" Link shouted. Down the hall the two women turned. Link felt ill when he saw they were walking past an open balcony.

"Get down!" He screamed.

The white haired woman's eyes went wide and she gave no hesitation when shoving the princess behind her.

Link reached the balcony as the Yiga let the bomb arrow fly, and threw his sword as hard as he could.

It collided with the bomb just outside the castle walls, and the windows exploded inwards. Glass rained around them, but Link sagged in relief. If that arrow had gotten any closer it wouldn't just be glass that would hurt the princess.

He turned around briefly to make sure the two were unharmed. The woman that must be Lady Impa had the princess smushed against the wall. There were a few cuts on her arms and face from the glass, but it appeared that the princess was completely free of them. They watched him with eyes wide.

And Link became stuck for a moment.

Princess Zelda's eyes were vast and green like the wild. Her hair was the color of sunshine, long and down to her waist. She was dressed in a royal blue gown, decorated in the most expensive jewelry in Hyrule--some of it Link recognized as Zora made. She watched him silently. They stared at each other. Her in shock, and Link in rapt fascination.

Shit, Link thought.

The guards down the hall were shouting and running towards them. Link took that as his cue to get out of there. He ran to the balcony and found the Yiga hurriedly climbing down the tower.

Link leapt off the balcony, ignoring the startled shouts from those behind him, and hit the ground below in another roll. He couldn't allow him to get away.

When the Yiga reached the ground, Link was there.

He held the Master Sword to his neck.

Link didn't want to assume Taro was behind all of this. It would mean that Link's carelessness almost got the princess killed.

"Who told you where the Master Sword is?"

The Yiga, pinned between stone and blade, stuttered out, "A b-boy from--from the barracks!"

"What was his name?" Link ground out.

"I don't remember! I don't, I don't!"

Link pushed the blade harder against his throat. "Recall, then."