Chapter 10

white fabric. A colored glass window in a floral design provided some light, but it was starting to get dark outside, so after putting the clothes on a stool and bolting the door, I lit some of the big candles that were spread all over the tiny room. I undressed, put up my hair in a messy bun, and hurried to get into the tub, well aware of who was staying in the adjacent bedroom.
The water had a nice temperature, hot but not unbearable. It had been slightly scented with a flowery oil, and I found the scent to be very pleasant. I leaned back and allowed myself to close my eyes for a couple of minutes, enjoying peace and quiet for the first time that day. In the morning, everyone had been crazy busy packing and preparing for our trip.
Almost smelling like a flower myself now – at least according to my humble human senses – I reluctantly ended my cozy bath and dressed in the clothes of the countess. The underlayer consisted of woolen stocking that went well over the knees, a long white chemise, and surprisingly cozy leather slippers that could be closed with a buckle. The second layer was a plain light blue undergown made off silk, a stripe of brocade decorating the neck and cuffs. The third and last layer consisted of a velvet dark blue overgown that had to be laced in the back. I would have to ask June or a maid to help me with that.
When I exited the room, the Council stood at the same window as before.
“The gown suits you.”
“Are you not going to change?”
He was still wearing the same elegant black suit as before.
“As Council, I am not expected to follow the tradition.”
Of course, he wasn’t.
In the blink of an eye, he appeared beside me. I mechanically took a step back, cursing my dull, useless human senses once more.
“Let me help you with that.”
He didn’t wait for an answer, and a second later, I felt the Council’s hands in my back, carefully draping my long brown hair over my shoulder so he would have better access to the seam of the dress. A shudder went through my body as his cold fingers touched my neck, and all my instincts urged me to run as wide and fast as I could.
“Accepting physical contact, remember?”, he reminded me, voice calm but affirmative.
My hands clenched into fists, but I didn’t move. Yes, I did remember.
“It won’t take long”, he promised.
Luckily, he kept his promise, and I didn’t have to endure this uncomfortable situation for longer than a few minutes.
“Thanks”, I mumbled, even though I hadn’t been left with much of a choice.
“You are welcome. June will take it from here.”
The door opened, and the female guard entered, a tray full of jewelry in her hands.