Chapter 24

4 years later

Closing my thighs and drawing in the reins, I signaled Snickers to transition back into a slow jog. Henry and Hercules followed suit. My mate had developed a soft spot for the pitch black warlander stallion I had adopted from a shelter a little over two years ago, so much so that by this point, the horse was basically his – not that I minded. Thanks to their bromance, I got Henry to ride out with me on a regular basis.

"Hard to believe this is the same horse from three weeks ago", Henry said. "The chancellor will be pleased."

Snickers was my newest "patient". Instead of training horses for farming and to aid lumberjacks, I now mainly worked on horses with behavioral issues – mainly horses owned by influential figures of the human and vampire world. This way, I could do something that brought me joy while simultaneously helping my mate to collect some sympathy points that benefitted his countless political schemes.

I sighed.

"And that’s what’s important, isn't it?", I asked sarcastically. "Who cares about the wellbeing of the animal? The poor thing was petrified to have a rider on its back!"

"Truly tragic, indeed", Henry dryly agreed, not even trying to act moved.

He was stalling, but I wasn’t having it anymore.

"Will you finally tell me now what’s bothering you since yesterday?"

For a long moment, his onyx orbs eyed me contemplatively.

"I had a vision of Caleb", Henry stated in that cold, emotionless tone of his that gave nothing away. "Soon, he will kill his Luna."

I already knew Caleb had found his mate recently. It had been the first real news I had received from my old pack since I had been kicked out. Over the last years, Henry had requested an informal meeting with my former Alpha several times – but each request had been firmly rejected.

"Kill his Luna?", I repeated incredulously. "Why, in the name of the goddess, would he do that?"

"It will be accidental."

"You could prevent it?", I asked hopefully.

Sometimes, he only "saw" a small fraction of an incident, couldn’t tell when or why or how a misfortune came to happen. But in Caleb’s case, he seemed to have gathered some background knowledge.

"I could and I will, should you wish for it."

My heart squeezed in relief and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Of course I want you to!"

Was I still cross with my friend for going radio silent on me like a douche after sacrificing me for the wellbeing of the pack and handing me to the Council like a sack of potatoes? Yes, I was furious! But I also understood why he did it, understood his dismissive behavior towards me only showed how painful this decision had been for him.

"He is currently on his way to New York", Henry informed me. Perfect timing, since we were scheduled to fly there this evening. "I will officially summon him to our penthouse for dinner the day after tomorrow."

Elegantly pinned up hair that highlighted the pair of diamond drop earrings adorning my ears. A knee-length creme colored evening dress that perfectly hugged my curves, combined with high heels the same color. To a human or a vampire, I looked like a token hostess. To a wolf, however, I would look foreign, maybe even a little weird. Their kind preferred a simpler look: clothes made of wool with earthy colors and a modest design.

Their kind. They. How natural I used these pronouns now, distanced myself from the wolves. I had come to accept that I was one of Henry’s people now, belonged to the world of the vampires.