Chapter 4

***

Chapter 4

Tying up loose ends (#1)

still 20 days before take-off

~~*~~

"I'm really sorry Rebecca," was all Melissa could offer to console my weary heart. Honestly, it was for my entire body, trembling from exhaustion as I suppressed the throbbing pain in my head. I think it's turning into a migraine from all the stress.

"No, it's okay," I said in reply. I didn't need to lie to make her feel better and less apologetic. It was really fine, and frankly, I'm relieved. Nothing bad happened. There's no need to worry.

I previously thought, as did the panting Vincent beside me, that this had something to do with little Beth again. After getting lost in the woods on that night we never seem to talk about that much, it was not out of the question that everyone worried about her wellbeing. We were all shaken, and Melissa must've been affected by it the most.

She never said it, and it wasn't in her character to care, but Melissa really has been trying. She was the villain in my life for most of the years that I have known her. But I realized that that's not really her. What she is is someone her daughter needs–a mother.

No matter how smart and attentive Beth might seem, she was still a kid. Her usual childish demeanor, which most of us misunderstood to be an act, turned out to be something more serious than that. I wasn't keen enough about the details, but I assume it had something to do with living in the big house alone, wandering its halls by herself.

I felt bad when I learned about it. I could've made things go a little differently. If I could have just stayed in that empty house with her.

I shook my head, trying to erase the negative thoughts consuming it.

"What really happened?" Vincent asked. He was munching on a cookie as he looked at Melissa with the same worried eyes I assume I had a while ago.

I scanned the counter for any remnants of the cookie that he was eating. There was only about two more left on a plate. I raised my left eyebrow at him without him truly noticing. Was he that hungry even after eating out with me?

"Well," Melissa started, clearing her throat as she went...

I let myself drown out Vincent's stupid squirrel face in an attempt to get back on track with the conversation.

Melissa's voice grew softer as if to whisper, her face drawing close to us. It was oddly secretive and perhaps normal for the circumstance, but I just couldn't help but notice. She was never like this before. Her voice was loud and even haughty to me that it had always sounded so annoying. Maybe that was just the view from a filter of hate all this time.

"I was out for a second to talk to my friend from a past job. I learned about their new opening from the internet and so I wanted to check things out for myself through a direct source, just to make sure. Or maybe to make myself sure of this, I don't know. I know we're not short on money because of your dad's work, but I figured I wanted to pick up some of the things I liked doing in the past. You know, for a change."

I nodded my head, wondering where this story might go.

"I wanted to take things under wraps because nothing's been settled yet. I haven't even applied for the position yet. Or no, maybe it's just an excuse. I know the doctors, both mine and hers, told me I should be more open. More, well, close to her. But I still couldn't help seeing her as a kid. What's even wrong with me? Why can't I be a good mother like everyone else?"