Chapter 7

***

Chapter 7

Tying up loose ends (#4)

still 19 days before take-off

~~*~~

"How did you know my mom?" I asked the guy with the weird hoodie, purposely avoiding acknowledging that he already said his name.  

It became my first priority to know how once again, my mother is somewhat involved in this matter. All three of them, Rigel, this guy Castor and perhaps even Vincent, knew something about my mom that I, her daughter, don't even have a clue about. No inkling that such supernaturals existed in the mortal plane where such beings shouldn't have been. 

"Now, now. Before we get to business, can't I get a name at least?  I think I deserve to learn who you are."

I frowned a bit at the switch of the topic. As much as possible, I didn't want to be the subject of the conversation. We already have a subject, and I don't intend to change that.

"Rebecca," was my short reply. "You still haven't answered my questions though. Not as I like them to be answered at least. I don't have time for your games, old man."

Castor, as he introduced his name to be, held his stomach with both his hands as he laughed out loud without much control. He even went as far as to wipe tears from his eyes.

That was something I did not like. At all. How dare he?

"My stars, you're good," he said through held-back laughs. "Last time I heard a retort like that has been in ages. I must say I kind of miss it. Thanks, little Becca for showing me a good time in a long while since I have been stuck here."

My skin prickled with goosebumps at him mentioning my nickname like that. He's being far more than rude and getting straight into creepy territory. I don't think he's in any place to address me as if he's my long-lost uncle many times removed. 

Before I could say just that straight to his face, Vince took over for me. He stood right in front of me as he talked, shielding me away from the creepy old man's view. Not that he needs to, but it was a gesture worth noting at least. 

"Where have you been? I thought you disappeared again like the last time. I thought we already talked about not leaving me behind to fend for myself?"

I raised an eyebrow at that but kept silent. There was so much going on between them that I didn't have a clue where to even start questioning.

"And we also discussed how you're not exactly that defenseless little guy anymore. I've been calling you the guardian for that reason." Castor looked over Vincent's shoulder to look at me. He grinned and I shuddered. "Looks like you've been keeping on duty."

Now what does that mean?

"Hold up, you two!" I bypassed Vincent the human shield and ignored the ick I got from the presence of the man I barely knew and stood between them before anyone could stop me. "I have no idea what issues you two have with each other, and I frankly want to know more on that subject, but we're getting off track."

I gave Vince a look that told him exactly what I wanted to do, reminding him that we didn't have enough time. We already wasted a lot of it searching for this person who we finally caught after some effort and frustrations. There's no way I'm letting him off now.

I sighed and smiled at Vince once I was sure he understood. Then, I turned back to Castor who was looking at us with amusement in his eyes and a hint of something I couldn't quite name, It looked like pain, but then it was so subtle and hidden that I didn't care much about it.