Chapter 10 - Till Death Do Us Part

Four years before the events of the book

I was still shaking, still trembling; that didn't happen. That couldn't have happened. I was freaking out, unable to think clearly, as I heard constant sirens roaring past as I sat in an abandoned arcade, trying to rub the blood off my hands. The voice of the girl, the one who wasn't there, yet always there, kept talking. I was in such a state of panic I couldn't even understand her.

"I killed them... I killed them... What did I do?"

It had been an hour since the hired gunmen attacked the limo. Just two hours ago, I was sending my mother off, and now I'm hiding away a monster whispering dangerous thoughts to me.

"Listen to me, hear my words Y/N."

"Shut up!" I shouted, more paranoid as the girl, the demon in disguise, was there, crouched down in front of me, resting her arms on her knees as she watched patiently. "W-What are you? What do you want with me?"

"We shouldn't stay long; I doubt they were the only lot hired to kill you." She suggested, leaning forward and whispering. "You can have a panic later. First, we need to get you to safety."

"Y-You killed them."

"I did. And for you, to protect you, I'll kill as many as it takes." The girl explains with a faint smile. "Your Father entrusted me to you."

"M-My Father?" I whisper, blinking several times; the idea was crazy even for him. "My Father has been dead for three years... I don't understand."

"I'm not quite sure of the details myself. I am a Cursed Spirit who has been branded to your Family for a hundred years now. I've been forced to protect the Kronos family ever since. But you are the first member I've been able to attach myself to. My first vessel."

"What?" I whisper, crawling back, now more nervous than ever. "You're going to steal my body?"

"No." That was the only word she responded as he held her hand out. "While I have no idea why your Father was so adamant about me protecting you, I would have done so regardless."

"Why?"

"You're special. You're different. I've been watching you for a while now, Y/N. I really do utterly love you," she confessed, holding her hand out. So let me help you live the life you want."

I took her hand, standing up, still unsure what to make of anything. But I felt a little bit at ease, even with our unnatural situation. "Do you have a name?"

"The world once knew me as the Blood Empress. I ruled and conquered Europe 1000 years ago. My power only rivalled that of another Cursed Spirit known as Sukuna."

"I... I'm not calling you that."

This only got a laugh and a nod. "I was never the biggest fan of such a primitive title. Nor do I prefer going about my original name."

The girl began messing around with an arcade machine, Donkey Kong, trying to get it to work. "We'll have to think of a new name then..." Looking at the back, I found the plug and a 50p coin. Plugging the machine back in, the Donkey Kong cabinet lit up with a loud boom as the old arcade classic began playing. The girl was captivated as I put the 50p in and let her play.

"Your human technology has evolved so much since I was last fully in control of my thoughts. This is so incredible."

"I suppose it is," I whisper before speaking up again. "How about DK?"

"Huh?"

"Your name? Something simple?"

"You wish to call me Donkey Kong?"