Chapter 4: The Release

"Doon!" Exclaimed Lina as she hugged him tightly, "I've missed you so much!". 'What. Is. Going. ON?! Lina shouldn't be here, I can't be seen with her for Embers sake! But why do I feel so....happy? I shouldn't love her anymore, I can't, but why am I hugging her? Wait, I'm hugging her? I'M HUGGING HER?! OKAY, this is fine, just tell her you don't miss her and that your busy, just don't say anything positive!' "I've missed you too Lina.." Doon murmured, 'What. Did. I. Just. Say....' "It's wonderful to see you again, but why are you here? It just seems so....sudden." Doon spoke smoothly before letting Lina slide out of his grasp. "Oh, don't tell me you forgot about Today Doon.." Lina said in a serious tone before putting her hands on her hips. 'Wait, Today is important? It can't be her birthday..not for another month or two, and it's not mine, so what? Think Doon, think! Oh no, oh no don't tell me!' "Don't tell me you forgot our anniversary Doon" Lina replied sternly. 'Anniversary...but we aren't dating! Wait, it's spring, almost summer...Oh.

I wish I were dead... It's our five year anniversary for escaping Ember, of course! God, I am such a...' "Of course I didn't forget, in fact I was going to come get you" Replied Doon sheepishly. "Are you sure, you don't look dressed for the occasion.." Lina murmured, "That's alright, we're not going that far anyways." 'She seems really happy, but what would Kai think...' "Oh, and don't worry about Kai, he's off with...a friend, so come on!" Exclaimed Lina before dragging Doon out of the house, Doon didn't have time to say anything before she started running with her hand in his. 'Oh my gosh. Her hand...in mine. No, stop it Doon, she already has someone, but she seemed sad when he was with someone else..I'm sure its nothing, but...I'll ask her about it later.'

After looking up, Doon realized Lina had brought him to the hill near the house he was making for her, covered with flowers and blankets with food. Once they got over the slope, Doon saw some of his old friends and some new ones as well. Lizzie, Chet, Kenny and Torren, Clary, Orly, and one of the newest members, Ryder. They all greeted Doon, but once they saw Lina, they started smirking and moving their eyebrows up and down. Doon groaned in annoyance, while Lina just chuckled slightly, she then let go of Doon's hand and ran over to her best friend, Lizzie.

Doon strolled over to Ryder, he was odd for an 19 year old, but he also had some stories from his wandering adventures. Just a month ago, he came to the Town of Sparks to settle down, he had lost his parents at least a couple years ago, it was hard and relentless for the poor boy, but eventually he heard of the Town of Sparks, and took a ride from a adventurer towards the town. He settled in quite good, and was able to get along with at least anyone. Well, almost everyone, except Orange haired Lizzie. He always picked on her and kept teasing her, Doon figured Ryder might've liked Lizzie, despite him being Brown-haired with tan skin, he always turned a little red when she left. A hard pain came to Doon's back as he was blocked from his thoughts, "Doon, are you alright Man? You weren't listening to Torren, and you keep staring at Lina..." Ryder replied to him, Doon immediately cupped the palm of his hand on Ryder's mouth, he looked back at Lina to see she wasn't paying attention. He sighed in relief as he let his hand come back down to his leg, 'Why do I keep staring at her, She's already taken, soon enough with a couple of years, he might even....besides, she seems happy, but then again I never look at her that much..stop, you need to leave, before this all gets worse.' Doon walked over to an empty spot, leaving the two boys to themselves, he sat down by some flowers against a stump that belonged to a tree once. He looked off to the distance and saw the sun beginning to set, he sighed watching it in awe, this was his world, and yet he didn't enjoy it as much.

Suddenly, something was laying on his shoulder, or someone. He turned his head to see familiar Dark Brown hair laying on his Broad shoulders, "L-Lina?" Doon asked, Lina just laid her hand on Doon's chest, Doon's heart started to thump faster as his cheeks came to a light red, he begged himself to not sigh in emotion. He calmed down a little bit, she probably didn't know it was him anyway, so his gaze turned to the sunset. He wished this moment could last forever, taking in the warmth of both the sun setting, and Lina's body laying against Doon's.

His gaze turned to her eyes closed, that was when he saw a tint of pink on her eye, was that makeup? Doon wasn't for sure, then he saw that it was more purple than pink, then he saw blue, that was when he noticed her eye flickering. It was all signs of an black eye, someone had hit her, but why? Obviously Kai was with her all the time, so how did it happen? 'It can't be...how could she have..No...That little son of a..' "Are you okay Lina? " Doon spoke softly, carefully taking his fingers under her chin so she could look at him. Her drowsy eyes told him she had not gotten sleep, then she just laid her head on his chest, like she was worn out more than ever, unlike her usual speedy self. Doon turned his head to the left as he saw that no one was there, they must have all left them together, typical. Doon sighed as he saw that Lina was fast asleep, he couldn't leave her here, and if Kai saw him carrying her...He pushed the thought away, then he remembered, his newly built house was just down the hill, if he could carry Lina downwards with ease, it'd be okay. Doon gathered the strength he had, picked up Lina with his arms under her neck and legs, and carried her down as carefully as he could. The hill was steep, but with each careful step, Doon came closer down the hill to the house. A couple minutes later, he was at the porch, he opened the door as quietly as he could, and took Lina inside.

It was just as he remembered, except with a little dust and the curtains covering the new furniture. He turned his head to one of them slightly uncovered, and walked towards it to set Lina down on it. He laid her down gently on the Sofa, then ran quietly to one of the closets to get a soft, wool blanket. He found a blue-gray one, took it, and laid it softly on top of Lina's tired body. Doon crouched down to stare at her for a moment, 'How could someone hurt Lina, she's so beautiful, and calm, and kind, and brave, everything about her is....' "perfect.." Lina's eyes then flickered open to stare at Doon. Doon's eyes widened in shock and immediately shot up in surprise, did he say that out loud? Lina giggled to Doon's surprise, she mouthed a thank you, and rolled over to sleep. Doon couldn't do anything but smile at her, his cheeks started radiantly blushing a medium red, there was no doubt that he had strong feelings for her, more than any girl he'd ever known. No matter if she had a boyfriend, to Doon, she was his girl.