three

Emma did in fact end up at the game. She hated that she gave in so easily whenever Caroline asked her to accompany her to the game. 

So, here she was. Sitting in the Regina Pats arena, watching the game she has loved all her life. It was currently warm ups, which mostly consisted of Mason doing pregame rituals with Caroline.

"Sorry I'm late" An all too familiar voice said from beside Emma. She excitedly turned around. 

"Ashton!" She happily exclaimed and wrapped him into a hug. "How's my favorite Clark brother doing?" She asked while ruffling his hair. 

"Hey, watch the flow" He semi scolded and fixed his hair causing Emma to roll her eyes. "And I'm doing great. Hayley is coming to my game tomorrow" He said, a bright smile on his face.

"Hayley? The Hayley? The one that you've been in love with since 2nd grade?" Emma asked while jokingly poking his cheeks. He swatted her hand away. 

"Yes. THE Hayley" His cheeks turned red. 

"Hey," She hits his stomach lightly to get him to look at her. "Go you" She says offering a fist pump that he reciprocates. 

Ashton was a good kid. He was a hell of a hockey player, sure, but his personality was what made him. He was funny and actually cared about people's feelings. Growing up around Emma, he had always learned to respect girls. He also witnessed Emma and his mom go ballistic on Mason after he cheated on a girl. His mom made sure to raise her two sons to respect girls like their father couldn't. And Emma made sure they respected their mother. 

"So, I heard a certain all star has his eyes on you" Ashton said taking the advantage to flip the conversation on her. Emma rolled her eyes. 

"As if" She scoffed. 

"Oh, not a big fan of mr. going number one in the draft this year, eh?" Ashton asks with raised eyebrows. 

"Not necessarily. Girls basically worship the ground he walks on, just because he's attractive. They don't care about how good he is, it's just a plus to them. Also, he is not interested in me" She explains. 

"First, you just admitted he was attractive" Ashton started. Emma went to protest, but he put his hand over her mouth. "Let me finish" He tutted. "Second, he has literally been staring at you ever since I got here"He finishes. Emma licked his hand causing him to pull it away with a grimace. 

"Attraction means nothing, Ash. I'm attracted to Caroline, but it doesn't mean I wanna date her" Emma reasons. Caroline kisses Emma's cheek. 

"Feelings mutual" She winked. Emma smiled at her before looking back at Ashton. 

"But, I'm attracted to Hayley and I'm literally in love with the girl" Ashton argues back. 

"Whatever" Emma says looking back at the ice. 

She mentally cursed at herself when she made eye contact with Connor. He smiled at her and she offered a tight lipped one back. Mason skated by him and nudged him causing the eye contact that was being held between the two to become nonexistent. 

-

-

The Pats won, again. Which meant parties for everyone. Everyone, except Emma and Ashton. She had strict instructions to watch the boy tonight, because Mrs. Clark had to pick up an extra shift. She offered to watch him, of course. Mrs. Clark never asked her to, not wanting to burden her when she should be 'living her teenage years up" as she liked to say. Emma didn't exactly like parties, so it wasn't really a big deal. 

"Are you ready to go, Ash?" She asked. 

"I want to see Mason before we leave" He says. Emma nods her head and follows Ashton and Caroline to the locker rooms. They waited for Mason to come out. 

"Mason!" Ashton yells before running to his brother. Emma had always adored the relationship between the two brothers. How close they were. Her and Caroline watched as Mason wrapped his arms around Ashton. 

"Nice job on the hat trick" Ashton said to Mason. 

"Thanks, bud" Mason said ruffling Ashtons hair. 

"What is with everyone and messing up my hair?" Ashton says dramatically. 

Mason moves to Caroline and that was when Emma realized that Connor was standing there engaging in a conversation with Ashton. They were laughing. Emma must have been going delusional because some part of her refused to tear her eyes away from the interaction. Connor glanced up and smiled at Emma. She returned the gesture, wholeheartedly this time. 

"You like her?" Ashton asks looking back at Emma who was just staring at them. He knew she couldn't hear him because she would be whacking him in the back of the head. 

Connor finally peels his eyes off of her. "Yeah, I do" He admits with a sigh. 

"Don't give up on her. She'll come around, it just takes a little bit. But, once she lets you in, she's the best person you've ever met. Trust me I know from experience" Ashton says. 

"She's the best?" Connor asked. 

"In every category. She's like my sister, so I have to have this talk with you" Ashton pointed his finger at Connor. "If you hurt her, make her cry, do anything bad to her at all. I will find you, tie you to my goal, and practice my slap shots" Ashton smirks. 

"Yes sir" Connor says. 

"Great" Ashton smiles at him. 

"Ash, it's time to go if you want ice cream before we head to your house" Emma says. Ashton nods at her. 

"Bye, Connor" He bids. 

"Bye" Connor says back. 

"Can you say something to him real quick? Your bruising the man's ego too much" Ashton whispers to Emma when he gets to her. She rolls her eyes. 

"Fine" She agrees. Connor watches her walk over. 

"Good game" She complimented. Connor smiled at her. 

"Thanks. I'm glad you could make it" He says. 

"Me too" Emma responds. An awkward silence overtakes them. Ashton grimaces from his place a few feet away. 

"C'mon, Em, I want ice cream" He said. 

"I gotta go" She says. 

"I'll see you around?" Connor asks. 

"maybe" Emma shrugs before walking away with Ashton. 

"I just saved your ass back there" Ashton mumbled to the girl. "We need to teach you how to talk to boys" Emma slaps him on the back of the head. 

"Actually, you are perfect at it" He corrects himself as Emma smirks in victory.