four

Emma didn't know what had sent her down this rabbit hole, but here she was stalking Connor Bedard's instagram. She hated how she would smile at the photos. She had barely spoken to him, she shouldn't be feeling this way. And yet it made her feel good at the same time. 

She bit her lip as she debated on acting on the thoughts in her head. A few seconds pass before she opens tiktok and searches his name. Various edits pop up and she would be ashamed to admit that she watched the majority of them. 

She shouldn't like him.

She CAN'T like him. 

And yet here she was acting like a fangirl.

Connor.

Connor.

you awake?

maybe...

Connor.

do you want to go for a drive?

i have nothing better to do

Connor. 

be there in 10

Emma closed her door to her room quietly. She knew that her mom was probably passed out by now, but she wasn't taking any chances. She had her birkenstocks, her phone, and her keys in her hand as she tiptoed to the living room. 

Her face dropped as she saw her mom on the couch with a half drank beer bottle in her hands, asleep. She gnawed on her lip as she sat her stuff down near the front door. She gently turned her mom on her side in case she threw up and started picking up the beer bottles and the trash off the floor. 

She got her stuff and with one more look to her sleeping mother she left teh house making sure to lock the door. 

She didn't have to wait for long because after about 5 minutes Connor pulled into the driveway. Emma walked up to the passenger door and got inside. Connor noticed the distant look in her eyes. 

"You okay?" He asked. 

"I'm fine, now are we going to go for a drive or sit in my driveway all night?" Emma asks rolling her eyes. He throws her one last glance before backing out of the driveway. An awkward silence fills the car. 

"So, what do you want?" Emma asks. Connor scoffs out a laugh. 

"What makes you think I want anything?" He asks not taking his eyes off the road. 

"You texted me at 1 in the morning asking me if I wanted to go for a drive" Emma deadpans. Connor looks over at her for a few seconds before looking back at the road. A smile took over his lips. 

"I wanna know more about you. You intrigue me, Emma" Emma hadn't expected an answer like that. They made eye contact and she let out a deep breath before turning to look out the window. 

"Okay. Get to know me then. Ask me any questions you want, but I'm asking some too. I wanna know who mr.hockey is outside of hockey" She says.

"Fair enough. Um, have you always lived in Regina?" He asks. 

"Born and raised. Do you have any siblings?" 

"Yep, a sister. How did you become so close with Mason and his family?" 

"I never had a good home life, I met Mason at school and we became best friends when we were 9. I grew up with him and his family. What's a weird fact about you?"

"I'm allergic to peanuts, like a child" That causes a laugh to bubble from Emma's lips. 

"Okay. Who are you?" She asks.

"It's my turn for the question" Connor says as he parks the car. He raises his eyebrows at her. 

"I have a feeling you know a lot more about me than I know about you" She whispers slightly leaning over the center console. Connor's breath slightly shudders causing Emma to smirk. "Who is Connor Bedard. What drives him to achieve his goals?" 

Connor's eyes divert to the steering wheel. The feeling in the air changing from playful to solem quite quickly. Emma watched his every movement making sure he was okay.

"My grandfather. He was my biggest supporter and role model. He would play mini sticks with me even whenever he didn't feel the best. He was always there congratulating me even if I played like crap. He made me feel like I was the best. He died in a car wreck two years ago. I play  the game in his honor. I just want to make him proud" 

The slight crack in his voice caused Emma's eyes to tear up. She put his hand on his bicep and gave it a comforting squeeze. 

"He is beyond proud of you. I didn't have to know him to tell you that" Her words were soft when she spoke them. Connor met her eyes and smiled. 

"Thanks. I usually don't get emotional with people like that" He says wiping his eyes quickly, almost embarrassingly. 

"No need to be embarrassed, Con. Everyone has emotions" 

They basked in that moment for a while. Emma's hand didn't move and neither did their eyes. It was almost as if they were in a trance. Smiles etched onto their faces. 

Then Emma realized, she liked him.