7: The Fire Is Gone

It happened. The seven days had passed. Jirachi felt a shift in her mind, before a shiver in the rest of her body. She looked down at her third eye. It was flickering a dim cyan, like a lamp at low battery.

Icefang stared down at the eye. It flickered one last time, before fading to black. The third eye sealed shut. Jirachi tried to open it, but it was no use. The line on her stomach faded into golden sparkles. She began to cry.

She knew what this meant but it was still extremely sad. She could no longer grant wishes anymore. She felt grief, sorrow, confusion and fear in that moment. She knew that granting wishes gave her life meaning but now it was gone. Tears started to fall down her cheeks. She landed on the ground and stared at you in agony.

"My powers, Icefang, my powers..."

She doesn't move, allowing Icefang to carry her in his arms. After a few seconds, she opens her eyes, looking up at Icefang.

"I... don't know how to explain what I'm feeling right now..." She sniffed, trying to wipe her tears away. "Is this... is this normal?"

Max decided to walk over to Jirachi, knowing she needed more than one person she cared about.

Icefang picked her up. He rubbed her softly, his blue hand brushing gently against her velvety, silky body.

"Shhh..." he whispered, holding her close to let her know she wasn't alone in her grief.

"I'm scared... what do I do now? I don't know what the purpose of my life is anymore... everything seems so grey and bleak now... I feel lost..." Jirachi said while sobbing in your arms.

"Don't worry, I know someone who can help. He may not be here at the moment, but you can still communicate with him.

Icefang called Max, who wasn't that far. He let him know what happened.

"Jirachi..." Max said, through the video call. "It's me. Remember how much you missed me? That you wanted all this to end? That you wanted to break your oath? You did it. I want you to know that i'm so proud of you. I missed you just as much, Jirachi. Watching you go was just as painful for me as it was for you. I'm so happy you made a new friend, because now you're not only relying on ME... I need you to be the strong, brave pokemon I know."

"Max..."

"You're going through what I felt." Icefang said, in a soft voice. "When I lost my species, I felt exactly how you feel right now. Lost. Scared. I know what loss feels like, and you're no exception. I want you to know, you did the right thing. I promise, everything will be okay as long as we are together... Max too."

"You... think so?" Jirachi sniffled as she wiped her face. She felt comforted by his words of reassurance and she looked up at Icefang with a bit of hope in her eyes. She was glad that Icefang understood how she was feeling right now. Her smile faded again, and she sobs into Icefang's chest.

"Shhh... it's alright...everything will be okay... let everything out." Icefang held her as close as he could, while petting her.

Her heavy breathing slowed as did her heart. Icefang's presence helped her feel at ease. Her tears became less intense, though she was still sniffling.

"That's it... deep breaths..."

"W-what do I do...? I- I can't help people anymore... I... feel so useless. Is-is everything gonna be alright?"

"Of course. With us by each other's sides, we can both help each other. I promise..."

Jirachi rests in Icefang's arms in a soft, gentle way. She snuggles against him and dozes off. He let out a small smile as she slept in his arms. He scratched her back softly while she napped. Only this time, she wasn't trapped in a crystal, her soul confined to a space away from humanity. She felt whole, a new chapter in her life opening.