Prologue

When did it first start?

Oh right...

It all started since the day she woke up.

The heavens responded to the calling, they said, and the twin stars landed upon the world known as Tevyat.

However, only one twin emerged from the cracks...

The awakened twins then become a symbol, an enigma, she became power.

The people thought highly of her, they adored and look up to her, some of them even worship her. The people of the long destroyed nation... They sought her in hoping for better future, and that's the reason why they got destroyed.

The entire land was engulfed in flames that night, whilst the city is burning, screams of agony filled the air and the sky turned bright red as if reality itself is bleeding from the wound.

It was a sight that no man should ever see, yet she stood there upon the hill, witnessing it all going spiral down.

The feeling of despair, the pain, the hatred and the anger, all of it rages like storm inside her still fragile heart that day.

Maybe that was the beginning, the beginning of her descent into the whirlpool of insanity and despair.

The once bright and cheerful girl has long gone, replaced by the apathetic, cruel, and ruthless princess, who cares for nothing but the cause that she wholeheartedly believes in. One that guides her through this dark path that she had chosen, one that leads to her doom as well as everyone else.

And that is how she ended up like this...

"I can't believe that it must come to this, onii-chan..."

Her older brother's face stayed the same as ever, the same as when they were just kids, enjoying life and playing together in the park with the other kids. The same as when she and her older twin bid farewell to the place that they once called home. The same when the two were separated from eachother by the Sustainer. The same when she abandoned him that day after finally being reunited for 500 years.

But the expression on his face... It's completely different.

As the girl with short blonde hair stared blankly at the pair of golden eyes above her, one that is exactly the same as the one she possesses, all the girl could see are nothing but anger and hatred in them. No longer are the warmth and kindness exist in those beautiful golden orbs, the soft glow has faded to nothing but darkness, the warmth of the sun has been transformed into the coldness of space. He is broken, she can see it, and he is broken because of her. How tragic, how truly tragic the fates of the twins are.

"Why does it have to be this way, Lumine?"

Her brother's voice slipped out from between his lips, like an echo coming from afar.

His hair that once always tied into a braid trailing down his back, is now open to flowing freely in the air and kisses the ground below him. His clothes are messy and in tatters, with multiple holes littering it as well as dirt and blood splotched into the his once pure white cape. His face is in no better condition either, there's a scar that bleeds on one of his cheek, while the other are dirty from dust and mud. His lips are red, red from the blood he coughed out earlier, a perfect appearance for someone who just when through hell and made it out alive.

"You know full well why I did this, Aether..."

The blonde haired girl, Lumine, the younger one between the twins, croaked out softly and a little painfully, for she is in no condition better than her brother, in fact, it's worse.