The First Encounter

1st September 1939

A cannon fired from a German pre-dreadnought marked the beginning of the Second World War with the Invasion of Poland. The tension of war stirred around the world along with a new threat. An invincible fleet emerged from a mysterious, toxic mist that descended on each of the seven seas. Helmed by mechanical women, the "Morgana". They attacked everywhere along the coast and disrupted sea trade as they sent many cargo vessels to the bottom.

At the same time mysterious women known as "Belles" manifested aboard many warships and were able to ward their crews against this threat. Protecting them from the Morgana mist and bolstering their ships' capabilities to match the Morgana in battle.

With the rapid increase of the Morgana activity the League of Nations held an emergency meeting to establish the International Naval Protection Force (INPF), organising the Belles of all fleets into a neutral force that would protect all of humanity against the Morgana. However, with humanity continuing to fight amongst itself even in the face of a greater threat only time will tell how long this arrangement holds.

3rd September 1939

Sakurako, who had graduated from the Naval Academy, was now serving as an apprentice navigation officer on board the destroyer Fubuki as it patrolled the East China Sea. She was on the bridge along with her captain. As they observed the horizon a sailor from the watch tower shouted from above,

"Massive mist spotted! Bearing 010! Distance 30,000 metres ahead!"

They both looked through with their binoculars as two destroyer-like vessels appeared from the mist. As Sakurako noticed them, she asked her commanding officer,

"Kanchō, it's the Funayūrei! Should we engage them?"

The captain nodded his head and Sakurako rushed to the main voice pipe where she shouted into it.

"Sentō junbi!! Sentō sokudo!!"

With alarms and bugle calls alerting the crew, the sailors onboard rushed to their battle posts. One of the helmsmen pushed the lever to bring the destroyer up to flank speed as it closed with the hostiles. The ship turned portside with all its turrets aimed at the closest enemy destroyer and the gunnery officer asked for orders.

"Target acquired! Your orders Kanchō!"

With a quick signal the captain ordered the attack to begin.

"Kōgeki o kaishi seyo!! Subete no shuhō o utsu!"

Almost instantly all three main turrets on the Fubuki began firing rapidly at the hostiles as the battle began. The two sides had exchanged artillery barrages for thirty minutes when one of the shells from Fubuki smashed into one of the Morganas' bridges and exploded. This was quickly followed by a huge magazine detonation that broke the enemy in two.

"Impact! One hostile destroyer confirmed sunk!"

The crews started to cheer in victory, but Sakurako didn't let her guard down. She watched the other Morgana fire its front turret and saw the shells flying toward Fubuki's bridge.

"Take cover!!"

But it was too late. One of the shells hit the bridge and exploded. It was a small mercy the impact didn't ignite a fire. The Morgana followed this up by attempting to ram Fubuki who barely managed to avoid a head on collision, but the two vessels still ground to a halt against each other. A figure appeared aboard Fubuki, walking through the smoke and past unconscious sailors.

Sakurako had been dazed but she slowly came to her senses and managed to stand up. She was surrounded by chaos. Most of the other officers were unconscious or worse. As she tried to catch her breath, she heard unfamiliar footsteps coming closer and closer to her. Before she knew it a Morgana stood before her, taunting her evilly.