▪︎ Chapter 4 ▪︎

Their little adventure around the police station was eventful. Once they got Thea a gun, not long after that she had the misfortune to stumble upon one of those things that lingered outside. He wore a police uniform, which made her hesitate, but the moment he stumbled towards her and his jaw snapping at her arm, she put a bullet in his head.

"Poor bastard," Thea frowned as she looked at the corpse, Leon coming to a stop by her side. By the look on his face, she knew he wasn't the first thing he came across, but the sorrow still edged creases on his forehead. "Did you know him?"

"It's my first day," Leon muttered, stepping over its legs without looking back.

"Damn, that's one hell of a first day," she looked around the office, dread and death breathing down her neck. It was dark inside, blood splattered across papers and computers. It was hard to believe that not even a few days ago people worked here.

Thea truly hoped he would feel like shit at his new job. She wished he would have a miserable time during his stay, but she didn't ask for this. She hated him, sure, but this was a little overkill even in her books.

It didn't take the two of them too long to find a way into the parking lot, their best chance of escaping the station with the highest survival rate was through the parking lot's door. Or so they thought until they found it closed shut. Leon observed the panel next to it, seemingly not achieving anything by it.

"Let me," Thea shoved him aside with a swing of her hip, taking his place to have a better look at the panel. She ignored the annoyed look the boy sent her, pushing a few buttons on the electronics in front of her.

"I could've pushed random buttons, too."

"Shut up."

"You're really not that clever."

"Scotty, do I need to remind you that you asked for my help?" she seethed, now pushing the buttons harder than necessary. "Do me a favor and choke in that corner."

"Oh, how mature-"

A loud bang from the far end of the parking lot broke them off, both of their heads snapping toward the noise. Thea's heart started beating more loudly, suddenly remembering that there were multiple other threats outside of their little bubble heated by hatred. Leon glanced back down at the girl, her green eyes wide as she forced her eyes to make something out in the dark. Whatever it was, she wasn't excited to meet it.

"What are you looking at me for? You go check that out while I work my magic here," she pointed back at the panel, which was their only way out. She took a step back as a way of making the final decision, but the look on Leon's face clearly said no.

"What magic? Beating the thing apart won't do anything," his snarky comment caused her left eye to twitch.

"I can shoot you instead," she flashed him a smile, turning back to the panel. The little shit kept telling her that she needed a parking card for this to open, which in her opinion, was complete bullshit. How dare they lock them up with a card?

"Why do I have to go alone?" Leon sighed, pulling his gun out of the holster. A low groan echoed through the empty parking lot, a chill running down her spine.

"You're more expendable," Thea mumbled, not even sparing him any more glances. There must be a way she could hack into this piece of shit. Or she could just shoot the whole thing, maybe that will do.

"I hate you," Leon muttered under his breath, a small smile appearing on her lips at the sound of that. When he was annoyed, her mood got better.

"Right back at you, Kennedy."