▪︎ Chapter 11 ▪︎

Somewhere underground...

Half a dozen people were busy in a laboratory room. Some were preparing injections and tubes, some were checking vitals and one person just sat in the corner, taking notes of everything that went down in there. It didn't matter that the whole experiment was going to be videotaped, they needed someone to take notes. It was more secure that way.

They couldn't miss a single twitch of the subject. They didn't want to know the consequences if they'd miss something.

The head scientist adjusted his mask and gloves as he stepped closer to the subject lying on a metal table. It was strapped to the table, although unmoving. But they didn't want to risk any outbreaks – the things they were about to do had unknown results. So, just to be sure, the man in charge nodded towards a smaller man to come closer.

"Check the straps," the older man gave out the orders, turning his attention back to his notes. "We'll begin shortly."

The smaller man's eyes widened, but with a single nod, he obliged. Like all of them, he as well was covered from head to toe, only his eyes showing. This was protocol, but the deep-lying fear in each and every one of the team members wouldn't want it any other way. They were terrified and anxious, the tension in the room so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Nobody noticed the way sweat gathered at the head scientist's hairline, anxiety making his hands clammy inside the latex gloves, and cold sweat running down his temple. There was a lot at stake this night – for him and his staff. He was responsible for seven lives; seven lives that could easily end tonight if they were to mess up this project.

For their boss, this project was everything. It was his most prized possession turned obsession. And he wasn't afraid to spill the blood of the ones that fucked things up.

There were three other scientists in charge before. He was the fourth. None of the previous ones were alive to tell tales about the subject he was about to test.

The head scientist looked up from the notes he had taken under seven days and exhaled deeply through his nose. His eyes flickered across his team, none of them meeting his gaze. He saw the subtle shake of hands as they tried to do their jobs, he felt the fear radiate across the room in waves like a heatwave. His eyes subtly glanced at the two-way mirror on his left, knowing that they were watched.

He could almost feel the heat of his gaze on him, so he looked away and cleared his throat. The scientist locked eyes with the person sitting in the corner just behind the camera which recorded their every move before he turned away, ready to begin.

"My name is Doctor Kaloyanchev and it's the 18th day of the project. Time is 23:10. Subject T-54514 vitals are strong. Pupil reflexes are good. The subject has rejected any type of food or water, so we're forcing the nutrients in with these tubes."

Doctor Kaloyanchev picked up a tube from one of his helpers and showed it to the camera briefly before giving it back. Just the mere thought made him uncomfortable, having those tubes inside him.

"Today, we're attempting a connection between Subject T-54514 and Plant 43."

Nobody needed to say it wasn't the first attempt. Nobody, especially the Doctor didn't want a reminder of what happened to the scientists who had failed with the connection before.

Kaloyanchev nodded toward the man standing closest to the subject, signaling for him to start the process. The man reached for one of the tubes and with the help of two other men they stuffed them down the throat of the subject. The doctor stood aside, giving a full view of the team to the camera.