▪︎ Chapter 6 ▪︎

There was something about Ada that just didn't sit right with Thea. She didn't make an effort to try and hide her thoughts, and Ada noticed that.

At first, Thea thought it was just her lack of trust. She always found it difficult to trust strangers, and now there were too important things on the line to just take some strangers in. She didn't even trust Leon with her life, let alone some random woman who claimed to be an FBI agent, looking nothing like one. Thea wanted to take another look at that badge of hers.

Then she thought maybe it was just jealousy. Ada was a beautiful and strong woman, someone Thea always wanted to be. But she only got headstrong and stuck-up, as her mother would say. Ada walked with grace, even in heels in the middle of a fucking apocalypse: Thea really admired her for that. And by the stolen looks Leon glanced her way, she knew the boy did, too. She couldn't really blame him.

But when it got revealed that Thea knew the way to Umbrella, Ada's cold stare burned a hole in her skin.

"How do you know the way?" Ada asked, her usual cold and hard tone bouncing back from the walls of the sewers they were in. It wasn't the best route, but it seemed to be the safest and fastest. Down here they had more chance of surviving than out in the streets.

But it was the fucking smell that almost made her turn back. There were a lot of things Thea could handle, but smells were not really one of those.

"I work there," Thea admitted, avoiding both of their gazes. The deafening silence settling between the trio said more than any words could.

They gathered that much that all the shit going down in the town was probably the doings of the lab, where her entire family worked. And where she had to get to survive this.

"You work for Umbrella?" Leon's shocked voice broke the silence first, causing her green eyes to snap toward his face.

He seemed shocked and maybe even betrayed, she didn't know. She wasn't good at reading others' emotions, since her family lacked a healthy example of showing emotions. But she gathered that much that he wasn't that pleased by her reveal.

Leon took a step back, getting closer to Ada and putting some space between Thea and him. Thea tried to hide her frown at his action, but it still felt like getting slapped in the face. They didn't like each other, fair enough. But they knew each other for a whole lot more time than he knew Ada, and he still chose to believe everything the other woman said. And Ada said Umbrella was behind this, so Thea got swept into a hole full of blame and distrust because of the company.

"Let's use that to our advantage," Ada advised, stepping aside and motioning for Thea to take the lead. Sending a sharp glare toward Leon, she power-walked ahead, not giving a damn if they followed. Fuck that blond bird for thinking she had any business with this.

And in the middle of her sudden fury, she forgot the fact that it was Ada who lead them until this point.

━━━━⊱⋆⊰━━━━

Getting locked inside a small metal box with Miss FBI and Mr. Asshole was like a fucking joy-ride. Thea huffed out a breath as she leaned against the cold metal wall of the elevator, keeping an eye out for the two.

Ada mirrored her pose at the opposite wall, and Thea could swear she could feel the heat of the other woman's gaze on her from behind the sunglasses. Thea rolled her eyes, because what kind of asshole wears sunglasses inside? And in the dark.