Chapter 3: The Visit

The night fell. Long shadows took over his apartment and soon the floor creaked.

Keola felt his limbs turn numb and heavy as sharp fingernails clawed their way into his legs and lower body, over his tummy and into his collar bone.

The weight of the world rested on his chest. A heavy breathing made every hair in his neck stand on end.

Keola strained his eyes to look at the creature. The night mare was just like they had described her: a vague plump humanoid wearing a long white dress.

She sat on his chest, with her legs towards him.

She had no feet.

Her legs stopped at the ankles in a shagged dark line. The darkness splashed up her knees, painstakingly clear on the pale canvas of her skin.

Long lifeless hair rested on her white dress and framed a face with no eyes, only veins reaching towards two abysses, even darker than the darkest moonless night.

Her faded lips were cracked, but held so much emotion, it became crystal clear to Keola how she felt.

He read the same anger he knew so well, the pain of being treated as an outcast, the cry for help to be noticed and accepted for who she was.

He read it all and understood every word she mumbled in tongues he did not know.

The familiarity of her agony calmed him down.

The night mare was intrigued. Every human she had visited had spiraled into panic and kept panicking and panicking even worse and worse throughout the night.

Some even winded up themselves so much their souls left their body with no way to return.

Those unfortunate souls had started to hunt her, but she still felt the sheer terror in their hearts whenever they tracked her down.

Even now she felt that dreadful horror waiting for her outside.

The whole world was scared of her and it was that weight she carried on her shoulders; it was that weight that crushed them all.

But this... This was the first time that she felt a calmness within a human when she was near.

She wanted to know why.

She opened her mouth. Her long fingernails reached inside and took out two ice blue eyes.

She popped them into the abyss like sockets and blinked rapidly.

The eyes spun around until they clicked into place.

She leaned forward. Her face hovered above Keola's as she gazed into his eyes.

Keola couldn't help but think that something about her ice blue eyes felt off.

Her lips spoke of agony, but those eyes whispered about good times, about happiness and joy, about a long and prosper life.

Keola had seen many eyes and the ones he now stared into didn't belong to her.

He panicked - ever so slightly - but he panicked.

The night mare huffed. He was just like all of them!

She raised her arms and was about to smash his bones as something caught her eye: the letter Keola had written for her.