Chapter 4: Lost

Keola hadn't known what language the night mare spoke, so he had written the same short message over and over again in all the languages of all the places she had visited and - to be sure - he even drew it as good as he could.

She grabbed the letter and read it.

Welcome new friend,

Please accept these cookies as a sign of my appreciation for you.

It has been a while since I have had visitors, so please make yourself comfortable and talk about whatever you want.

I might not be able to speak, but I am willing to listen.

Please enjoy.

Your new friend,
Keola

The night mare couldn't believe her eyes. She read the letter once more and looked at Keola.

Keola signed with his eyes at the cookies.

The night mare leapt forward at the cookies - her legs still pressing on Keola's chest.

She stared at them in disbelief.

"For me?" she said. Her voice was hoarse and almost shrieked. "Are these really for me?!"

She read the letter again. "Why? Why would you do so much effort for me?"

Keola signed at the letter.

Her eyes scanned the letter once more. "Because... you're lonely?"

The night mare let herself slide on the floor, freeing Keola from her numbing touch.

She took one of the cookies and started eating. Tear rolled down her cheeks.

"These are the best cookies I've ever had," she said.

Keola sat up. He touched his collar bone and cleared his throat. "I'm happy you like them," he said. "It took me ages to find the right recipe."

The night mare grabbed the plate and shoved it in his face. "Do you want one too?"

Keola smiled. After declining a few times saying he had made them for her, he gladly accepted one.

"I'm Keola," he said as he took a cookie. "What's your name?"

The night mare looked away. "They've been calling me so many things, I've forgotten my name... But I always felt a little bit... Lilo."