Chapter 3

Charlie

Charlie tucked her hands in her pockets and turned the corner. Solé had been located on a lively street of buildings on campus that lined both sidewalks. It was the only coffee shop/bar however, the only good one that is. Music was wafting in the air and people were spilling onto the sidewalk even though it was early afternoon on a Saturday. She walked through the door of the café and spotted Diego at the bar.

"Charlie! Come on in, there's a staff room at the back, you can leave your things there and put on your apron."

Charlie saluted him and went to the back of the coffee shop to get changed. Once she walked out Diego was busy waiting tables but there was a person at the bar handling all the coffee orders for students and locals who wanted their coffee to go. She recognized the girl from the talent show from a few days ago, so it wasn't the beer, she really was stunning.

"Hey, new girl, are you gonna help or are you gonna stand there forever?"

And a little rude.

"I'm Charlie."

"I'm hungover so don't expect small talk," she said without looking at her, instead she handed Charlie a bar mop. "Go clean the tables, when it quiets down a little I'll teach you how to make coffee."

So Charlie grabbed the bar mop and started cleaning the tables as soon as customers left. What did Matthew get her into? At least Diego offered to pay her, she could save that money to help her parents pay for next semester's tuition. She found comfort in cleaning tables, the repetitive task left space in her mind to think, to plan ahead, she needed to finish reading a paper for tomorrow's class and also catch up on the news, a journalist should always be informed. It wasn't long before the coffee shop quieted a little. That's when Diego decided it was time to go run an errand and leave her with Alison to teach her what she needed to know. Charlie was beginning to think Alison wasn't very nice by then, and didn't want to be left alone with her.

"I didn't know Diego hired two people." Charlie said, even though Alison said no small talk.

"He didn't. Diego asked me to help, he said the new waitress needed training and he'd be busy."

"You know Diego?" Charlie asked.

"He's my best friend's uncle, we help him on busy nights sometimes and I used to work here when I was a freshman." She said, checking her perfectly done black nails. Charlie thought of her own nails, they were bitten, never decorated with much more than clear polish. She wondered what it would be like to be more like this girl, so aware and in control of her own feminine power instead of gazing at it mystified.

"You're staring at me."

"Sorry," Charlie replied.

Alison let out a breath. She hoped she could be somewhere else, but hey, at least there was free coffee - and beer. "Alright, let's start with the coffee machine, Diego is very particular about how he makes coffee. This right here is where he keeps the coffee beans..."

Two hours and two coffee mugs shattered on the floor later, Charlie wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

"Okay it's really not that hard." Alison said through gritted teeth as she tossed another cup of coffee down the sink.

"It's not my fault the water pressure is too high," Charlie retorted. "You didn't tell me I had to hold the portafilter in place."

"It's common sense if you see it coming loose." She reached for the coffee beans to make the espresso herself before the guy waiting for his coffee lost his nerve. "You're a menace to making coffee, you know?"

"According to you?" Charlie looked her over.

"Yes." She gave her a cold smile. "Me and every customer waiting in line." Alison slammed the portafilter filled with coffee in its place and turned on the machine with unnecessary force.

"God, you. Are," Charlie ran her fingers through her messy hair and breathed out, "So. Rude."

Alison shook her head. "At least I can make an espresso in less than an hour." The more Alison thought about it, the more Charlie baffled and infuriated her, she had been teaching her for over two hours now without progress, motor skills really weren't a thing for this girl. Diego couldn't afford to lose two mugs for every coffee she attempted to make. "How do you expect to help Diego for that stupid newspaper thing if you can't even make a simple espresso?"

Charlie's face flushed. "I'm trying to learn."

"Try harder."

"Stop yelling at me."

"I'm not yelling!"

Alison didn't realize she let the pressure get too high again and the portafilter got loose again and fell to the floor. Thankfully the coffee shop was empty save for a couple making out in a corner and the guy waiting for his coffee. They glared at each other, Charlie definitely did not like her now. Alison expected a retort, but Charlie turned away and lapsed into silence. It was goddamn unnerving. Alison exhaled sharply through her nose, forcing herself to calm down and pick up the portafilter. No matter how much she hated being here and having to teach an unteachable person, Olivia was her best friend, and Diego was family, she couldn't not help him out.

She examined Charlie out of the corner of her eye, taking in her tight jaw and ramrod straight back. Her expression was blank - a little too much so. Her anger cooled and Alison rubbed a hand over her face. She didn't care for people's feelings, if Charlie's got hurt it was not her fault... And yet.

Dammit.

"Let's try again." Alison said gruffly.

Charlie tucked her hair behind her ear, her voice flat. "I'd rather mop the floor."