Chapter 14

"Are you mad at me?"

Olivia, leaning against the kitchen counter, glared across the room at Alison. They had just finished writing a very long essay. Actually, Olivia did most of the writing but she forced Alison to help her review it. "I'm not mad."

"Oh, yes you are." Alison gestured accusingly at her best friend.

"I am not," Olivia said, through her teeth. "Just because you let me ridicule myself in front of everyone-"

"You weren't that drunk, just mostly tipsy."

Olivia jabbed a finger toward her. "Mostly tipsy," she said, her voice trembling with rage, "is NOT SOBER ENOUGH!"

"Liv, we all did stupid things last night."

"Yes but you know how I get when I'm drunk! I made a fool of myself in front of Jason because of you! Matthew had to save me more than once."

Alison lowered her head, in an attempt to hide a smile. "Wow, that's-" she chuckled, "pretty bad, Liv. Even for you, I mean Matthew? Really?"

"Yeah, no shit you moron!"

Alison took a long breath and pulled out her phone to see if Charlie had replied. Nothing, so she returned her attention to her best friend. "Look, you're the most amazing person - even more so when you're drunk, because you're not only funny and kind but quirky in a cute way and if he can't see that then he doesn't deserve you, Liv. He's just another guy, I'm sure when the right person comes along he'll love all those things, just like I do."

"Wow. If I didn't know any better I'd say you're the right person." Olivia said.

"Shut up."

Olivia caved and gave her friend a hug. "You're right. I'm sorry for snapping at you."

"It's okay."

"Where were you anyway? You disappeared all of a sudden."

Alison was no longer comfortable with the conversation. She cleared her throat and lowered her gaze. "I went home."

"With Charlie?"

"Why are you asking so many questions?"

Olivia's eyebrows connected. "Why are you so defensive all of a sudden?" Realization hit her and her eyes widened. "Something happened after the game."

"No."

She pointed her finger accusingly once more. "Alison Marie Hayes, what did you do?"

Alison met the girl's eyes, they were the color of black coffee - not really black, but a rich brown without a touch of gray or hazel. "I kissed Charlie."

Olivia sucked in a breath and covered her mouth with both hands. "Oh!"

"I know!"

"Why did you do that?"

Alison put a hand to her temple and massaged it as if her head were aching. "I don't know," she said as if to herself. To be honest, she had been thinking about that all day, trying to understand what made her want to do it, replaying the night over and over again, until finally she gave up, not finding an answer to her question - not wanting to find it anyway.

"Have you talked to her?"

"She hasn't responded to any of my texts."

Olivia studied Alison's expression, trying to gather all the pieces of the puzzle. "What did she do when you kissed her?"

"She got mad and left."

She was quiet for a moment, but then, "What did you feel?"

"Nothing."