Love

It was the middle of the night. Not even checking what time it was, you immediately got out of bed and made yourself coffee.
There was no way in hell you were going to go back to sleep.

As you drank your cup in one go, you intensely stared into space. Trying to process what just happened and what it meant. But your mind was blank. You couldn't think straight.
All you could think about was the way Wally looked at you. He looked happy. His black, focused, unblinking eyes were engraved into your mind. You couldn't get the sight of them out of your head.
You made yourself some more coffee. And when the sun rose, you made some more coffee.

You had to go to work. But you didn't want to get in your room to change. Maybe you could call in sick. But on the other hand, you really didn't want to stay here either.
With your hand on the bedroom's doorknob, you took deep breaths, praising yourself. Quickly, you stepped in, blindly grabbed the Wally puppet, then went to the living room to put him in the cardboard box, along with the rest of the toys, before closing it shut and putting it in a closet.
Whatever was going on, for whatever reason it was going on, you needed to stop with these dreams, even if it meant never sleeping again.
You left for work.

You've drank enough coffee and energy drink for your hands to start shaking.
"Here's the file Sallie." you handed it to her, without looking away from your screen.
"Thanks- oh my." she turned then was taken aback by how you looked. "Are you okay?"
"I have...problems sleeping." you slowly said.
"I can see that. Have you tried taking sleeping pills?"
You paused.
"...Do these stop me from dreaming?"
"I think so?"
"Okay then. Thanks."
She hesitated for a moment.
"Do you... Do you need anything?"
You stopped in your work and looked at her.
"No. I'm good."
"Okay... If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."
You just hummed.
After work, you went to the pharmacie to buy sleeping pills, praying that they would allow you a sleepless night.

Everything was dark. You heard a phone ringing. It sounded far away. You couldn't tell if your eyes were closed or not, if you were dreaming, or if you were simply laying in your bed.

The phone kept ringing. You kept sleeping.

You were sleeping right now.

You were sleeping.

But every now and then, the ringing would get louder. You would see images flashing before you, most of them unrecognizable.
Eyes with big black shaky pupils, staring into your very soul. Like they were calling out for you.

But you didn't answer. You kept your eyes closed. The phone kept ringing, and you kept sleeping.

You woke up, the rising sunlight hitting your face. You felt relieved and sighed. It worked! You didn't go back to Home and you had a dreamless night! And you weren't as exhausted as before either!
Did that mean that those dreams were really affecting you? You didn't want to think about it anymore. You got up and prepared yourself for the day.
This went on for days, maybe even a whole week, during which taking a sleeping pill before bed became a habit of yours. Life went back to normal. As normal as it ever was before... You were reminded of how empty your life prior to those dreams was. You were back to your sad little life...

Not only that, but now you would feel...empty. Like you were missing something. That was just what happened when you've been experiencing such love, support, a sense of finally belonging, all of this on a daily basis, then stopped suddenly. You missed it greatly, you missed your dreams. You missed your friends. So much so that it hurt sometimes.
You pondered over this, taking a step back. Disregarding the 'how' of it all, was this dreamland (which turned out to be real) really harmful in its intensions? Yes there was a high probability that it could drain your energy or whatever, but, if the people there wanted you harm, they would've done it already. Maybe it was only to lure you in, into a false sense of security. But this has been going on for weeks, they could've acted a lot sooner. Maybe draining your energy was simply just a side effect of literally traveling to a real life dream world- Whatever that place was!
You felt a headache. You knew you weren't going to get any answers by yourself. But you still weren't ready to go back there. Not just yet.