7. The legacy of Gods

"I knew that destiny can't keep us apart for a long time," Arjun said as he looked at the sets of serpents that were entering the vimaan in a linear fashion.

"Bhrata Arjun, what are you talking about?" Sahdev asked as he noticed a sense of excitement in Arjun's voice.

"Nagastra, there's definitely an archer out there who's firing Nagastra towards the vimaan door. You look at these snakes, they are all hitting the wall and moving in a similar pattern. They don't seem to have a consciousness of their own," Ashwathama said as he stamped another serpent under his feet.

"Archers," Karna intervened.

"Sorry?" Ashwathama said as he was taken by surprise.

"Their pattern might be linear but their incidence angles are different. There is more than one archer out there," Karna explained his point of view.

Since all the warriors were among the best in the country, only a few of them were panicking. The snakes were getting attracted to the negative energy associated with fear. While some warriors were still trying to kick and punch their way through, a few had succumbed to the snake bites and were lying paralyzed on the floor.

"Doesn't matter how many are out there. I just need to snatch the bow from one of them as soon as possible, else there wouldn't be anyone left in here," Arjun said with every word loaded with confidence.

"This is not my father's aashram where you can get anything you want. Besides, how do you intend to get out of that door," Ashwathama said as he pointed towards the door which had snakes coming through continuously.

"You and I need to stay here Ashwathama," Karna stepped in once again.

"What? Why? Why the hell should I listen to a Sut putr?" Ashwathama responded in anger as he felt challenged.

"Let's listen to what he intends to say. I don't care if he's a Sut putr. He saved my younger brother's life and I can see that these serpents can't even penetrate his skin," Suyodhan spoke in Karna's support as he had been silently observing the entire conversation.

"Alright Yuvraj Suyodhan, I am all ears. Let's see what the golden boy wants to say," Ashwathama said as he was surprised by Suyodhan's interference, especially his words with respect to Sahdev.

"You and I seem to be the only ones who are immune to these snake bites and these snakes are attracted to your divine mani and my divine kavach. We need to stay here and try to protect as many as possible. But someone needs to get out there and stop those archers. I am ok if that's Arjun," Karna explained his point of view and smiled at Suyodhan in gratitude.

"And how does Arjun get out of here? Or you are hoping that the serpents can help you get rid of your opponent," Ashwathama said as he was aware of Karna's competitiveness towards Arjun.

"My guru, Bhagwan Parshuram has taught me to be self reliant. I believe your father skipped a few lessons," Karna made a harsh remark in response.

Ashwathama couldn't take this insult and  launched a punch towards Karna, only to be blocked by Arjun who was blessed with swiftness.

"Enough, it is because of you that he could speak about Gurudev in this manner. I want to deal with him myself, but we have different priorities as of now," Arjun said in frustration as the discussion wasn't going anywhere.

"Whatever, but how do you intend to get out of that hole," Ashwathama responded in anger.

"I can help," said a relatively younger teenager with blue eyes, light skin and mesomorph physique. He grabbed everyone's attention with that one sentence.

"I am Shrutyudh, son of Lord Varun. I am blessed with the ability to invoke Varunastra without any projectile. I just need some water to get it started," he introduced himself and there wasn't enough time to challenge what he was saying.

Karna and Ashwathama stood as the first line of defense, opposite to the door. Their entire bodies were engaged in stopping and killing any incoming serpent. Shrutyudh stood behind them and every other warrior was busy pouring water from various vessels inside the vimaan on his hands, while he stood there meditating, with his mind fixed on Varun Dev. The water being poured on his hands didn't hit the ground. A sphere of water was being formed around his hands with an invisible energy holding the water together.

He slowly tapped his feet and that was a signal for Karna and Ashwathama to move aside. Shrutyudh used that window and blasted a powerful beam of water in the direction of the door. That washed off the incoming serpents and the path to exit was cleared. Arjun ran towards the exit like a lightning bolt and took a leap of faith upon reaching the door.