The New Lightning Rod

Athens

June 12th

Patrick: Wally.

Wally woke up with a jump. He spun around. He was in the pantheon.

Wally: Hello?

Patrick: turn around you idiot.

Wally turned around to see Patrick standing there with his leather jacket. His hands in his pockets.

Wally: Patrick?

Patrick said nothing as Wally hugged him.

Wally: oh, Artemis is going to be so happy.

Patrick: You failed.

Wally let him go and stared at him confused.

Wally: what?

Patrick: you failed me. You let me die. And now you let Donna take my mantle. That mantle will only get her killed.

Wally: (miserable) No.

Patrick: You failed to save me. You were too slow. As always.

Wally: NO!

Wally punched him in the chest only for the fist to go right through him.

Patrick: Yes. My blood is on your hands, West.

Patrick grabbed Wally's arm

Patrick: You are a weakling. A failure. You. Are. no. Hero!

CENTRAL CITY

Wally: NOOOO!

Donna: Wally!

Wally: No no no no.

Donna: Wally, focus on my voice!

Wally listened as Donna spoke, calming him down. He stared at the woman he loved with tears threatening to fall.

Donna: (she put a hand on his cheek and wiped a tear with her thumb) what was it? Voices again?

Wally: yes, but this was different.

Donna: (softly) how so?

Wally: it, it was Patrick himself say things like, "you failed me" or "you were too slow as always" (he took a deep breath) what if he's right? What if I could've stopped him. Maybe I could've took his-

Donna: Don't say that! If I had lost you, then I would've been destroyed! Patrick would want you to keep living. He sacrificed himself so we could keep living. Don't you dare imply it was for nothing.

Wally: o-ok

Donna: Did he say anything else?