Chapter 8

A month before school is out...

            Someone had been murdering other students, there had been deaths in every house but one thing remained the same about the kills. No one was around at the time of the deaths, they used the killing curse, and a dead serpent was found coiled on top of the dead person's chest. Gilbert knew they would be sent home soon as the professors gathered all of them in the Great Hall to discuss the matter. He stood next to the other founder's children and their friends as they had become acquaintances and they stopped their conversation to include him.

            "Hey Gil." Leo smiled at him as he sat down. "We were just trying to figure out who the killer was."

            "I bet it's that Corwen kid." Brandon growled as he shot a look over at where Corwen Riddle was sitting off to the side of the room by himself. Ever since the killing started people had started to avoid him. "Just look at him... plotting."

            Kaliyah glared at him but it was Drake who spoke up for his fellow Slytherin. "Oh please, you're just saying that because you always hated him... Just because of his parentage and house."

            "Bad wizards come from Slytherin." Brandon replied. "For all we know you two could be with him."

            "Yeah sure." Kaliyah hissed. "Like we would help someone kill Abby. She was one of the best witches not just in Ravenclaw but the entire school."

            "Which is why you would need her gone."

            "Guys stop." Gilbert told them before the argument could continue. "None of us would help kill Abby, she was our friend."

            "He's right." Kelsey spoke up from beside Leo before looking around suddenly confused. "Hey Gilbert, where's Leya?"

            Gilbert looked over at the Hufflepuff house before looking at the group where Scorpious, Rose, and John sat, as she sometimes liked to join them. "I don't see her..."

            "You don't think she was the victim the professors were talking about do you?" Leo glanced around suddenly nervous.

            "Or the killer." Drake spat.

            Suddenly the doors flew open and Harry Potter came walking in with a serious look on his face that made everyone go silent. "Is this everyone?"

            Draco nodded. "Yes, we checked. All the staff and students are here."

            "Good." Harry turned to Krum. "Victor search the grounds for any intruders, Filch make sure no one is wandering the halls, Hagrid you check the forest... Draco, you're with me."

            "Doing what?" Draco asked as he stepped forward.

            "Searching for anything with the Dark Arts. Leya was killed differently, it wasn't with the killing curse but with an enchanted object infused with the Dark Arts."

            "What about... the boy?" Gilbert could hear him whisper as the two walked past the group.

            "He is being monitored here by the other professors... He won't try anything if he's smart." Harry murmured back.

            An uproar went through the students as Harry left, and the teachers kept a steady watch on the exit for any sign that someone may try leaving. Leo got their attention again and pointed over to where Corwen was now gone. "Look, he's not there..."

            "He's going to strike again!" Brandon shouted. "I told you!"

            "Let's go find him." Kaliyah suggested already taking out her wand and walking off through the throng of students.

            Drake started to follow but turned to face the others. "Split up. Leo, Kelsey, come with me. Brandon you go with Kaliyah and Gilbert."

            Gilbert took out his wand and followed Brandon into the crowd as they caught up to their Slytherin friend. "Wait up, you can't take Riddle on by yourself... besides how do you expect to get past Sprout?"

            "Memory charm." She replied. "Professor Sprout won't even remember we left."

            "And Filch?"

            "Staying quiet."

            Fortunately they didn't have to use a memory charm, unfortunately that was because Sprout was fast asleep due to Corwen using a sleeping spell. They checked to make sure no one else was looking at them before slipping out and looking down the halls.

            "Which way?" Gilbert questioned as he glanced at the two paths they could take.

            "Right." Kaliyah decided as she heard footsteps from the left. "Come on."

            They ran down the hallway and into the dungeons towards the Slytherin dormitories. Gilbert stopped to catch his breath and expected Brandon to run past him but when he looked around saw that the Ravenclaw had disappeared and Kaliyah was now looking around as well as she noticed he'd stopped following. One thing was on both of their minds now: where had Brandon disappeared to and did that mean Corwen was near.